Gear indicator playing up

anthony1979

Reaction score
I have just noticed that my gear indicator is playing up. I was out on a ride at the weekend and noticed that when you get up into 6th gear, the number 6 on the indicator flashes on and off or sometimes doesn't come on at all. all the other 5 gears are fine and the number comes up on the indicator without a problem. There is no problem with the transmission itself but just sometimes doesn't display when you are in 6th gear.
I was just wondering if any of you have experienced this problem, or might know what the cause of this may be before I start asking questions to my dealer.
Thanks in advance..

Pool Boy

Reaction score
I've had similar issues - just nudged the pedal and the display corrected itself
I assumed I just hadn't pushed the gear lever hard enough to trigger the indicator although it seemed to have engaged the gear properly.
Now I've adjusted the gear lever it doesn't seem to happen any more

anthony1979

Reaction score
As it turned out my neutral switch was knackered so Yamaha gave me a new one under warranty. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Locksmith

Reaction score
Thanks for the update, may help someone in the future.

Nothing more frustrating than when someone never bothers to let everyone know the conclusion.

Tracer kid

Reaction score
Same issue on mine.
When you say the neutral switch was faulty did it not show N when in neutral ?

relz

Reaction score
As it turned out my neutral switch was knackered so Yamaha gave me a new one under warranty. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Had the exact same issue. Bought a gear position sensor for 40$, and its like new. Unfortunately i was out of warranty already...

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mat Still

Reaction score
Hi

Mines doing the same, hardly ever shows 1st gear, sometimes does it on 3rd and now 6th. Fortunately she's still in warranty so when she's in for her 12k service I'll get them to sort it.

Crazytown

Reaction score
Mine has just started to not indicate 5th gear. It seems to be mainly when the motor is hot. When its cold its OK.
No problem with the motor or gears, just the 5th position on the indicator.
Bike will go for service at 30K.
It is well out of warranty. My guess is the sensor is either dirty or on the way to being goosed.