Aftermarket rad guard + Yam rad guard?

pipski99

Reaction score
I'm about to order my xmas pressy, a pile of Evotech parts for my MT-09 :)

I wondered if anybody has got either the Evotech rad guard plus the Yamaha side guards fitted together, or the R&G rad guard and Yamaha side guards fitted together.

I'm thinking about getting the Evotech rad guard and then adding the genuine Yam radiator side protectors after but just wondered if the 2 can both be installed together, do they use the same mounts or get in the way of each other etc...?

Cheers chaps.

pipski99

Reaction score
Looks fantastic together, especially with the silver R&G guard.
Can I ask did they both mont to the same bolts at the top of the rad? And did you have to remove the side air intake trim to get to it and bend the horn out of the way to mount it as I think I heard mentioned in the Australian Rad Guard fitting instructions?

Also thanks for being so on the ball with the quick reply and pic :)

mt dave

Reaction score
hi ive got a pile of evotech protection on my bike ive got the evotech rad guard you won't need the yamaha side covers as the evotech rad guards wraps round take a look at my pictures and you'll see what i mean your better off phoning evotech direct and speak to gary twigg really friendly and very helpful the number is 0800 6342801 mention me dave from weston and he might give you a bit of discount mention this forum aswell DSCN0373.jpg

stevecbr

Reaction score
I did remove the side covers to make things easier, but its an easy job. The rad covers are fiddly to fit, and it makes sense to fit both at same time as the r&g guard attaches to the same mounting bolts as the yamaha radiator covers

pipski99

Reaction score
Sorted it thanks Dave, orderd direct form Gary just now and I did get a good discount. He does remember you, obviously, being the FIRST to have their tail tidy for the MT-09 ;)

Ordered bar end weights (in black), radiator guard, deluxe M6 paddock bobbins, front fork spindle bobbins, pillion footpeg removal kit and air intake guards which he says are the same pattern as the radiator guard and look well together.

That should all be with me in 2 days but I won't be fitting it all until Christmas day when I see my bike again. Can't wait, pictures to follow.

dazzer

Reaction score
i have the evotech rad guard. i bought it because i dont like the yamaha rad sides. looks ace easy to fit and excellent build quality.

pipski99

Reaction score
All my parts arrived today except for the bar end weights which won't be in stock until the new year. Should get my other parts fitted on xmas day hopefully.

pipski99

Reaction score
Update on this: I have fitted MOST of the Evotech parts but have hit a couple of problems.

1. There are 2 washers missing from the bag of parts for fitting the radiator guard so today I have to go trawling DIY shops / bolt and nut retailer locally to get a couple of washers myself.

2. I am struggling to remove the allen key nuts holding on the original passenger foot rests to fit my blanking plate kit. I have seen on other threads that somebody said they are so tight that he stripped the heads removing them and had to drill out the old bolts to fit the new ones. I'm nervous of doing this to mine so I'm not going to overdo it and strip them. I may have to ask the dealer to remove the bolts when it goes in for its service, maybe with air tools they can crack the bolts easily?

j4ybee

Reaction score
Update on this: I have fitted MOST of the Evotech parts but have hit a couple of problems.

1. There are 2 washers missing from the bag of parts for fitting the radiator guard so today I have to go trawling DIY shops / bolt and nut retailer locally to get a couple of washers myself.

2. I am struggling to remove the allen key nuts holding on the original passenger foot rests to fit my blanking plate kit. I have seen on other threads that somebody said they are so tight that he stripped the heads removing them and had to drill out the old bolts to fit the new ones. I'm nervous of doing this to mine so I'm not going to overdo it and strip them. I may have to ask the dealer to remove the bolts when it goes in for its service, maybe with air tools they can crack the bolts easily?
I found the same that my rad guard came in short of 2 washer. The bolt itself used where the 2 washers should be has quite a large face on it though so i just fitted it without the washers as i cant see it would make too much difference.

marcusfordus

Reaction score
Heat will loosen the threadlock used on the footpeg bolts, not sure what you have in that respect.
I've a micropoint blow torch that I use on such stubborn items such as disc bolts etc.

pipski99

Reaction score
All done now - went and bought washers from local motor factors and finished fitting the radiator guard, also got my brave pants on and cracked the bolts for the rear foot rests which were very stiff due to the threadlock but I cracked them with a good strong bar on a ratchet. I got a couple off before the 9mm allen socket snapped and I had to finish it with a 9mm Allen key and the strong bar. Got pics here of everything finished.

Front view of spindle and bobbins
Front wheel bobbins
Radiator guard
footpeg blank off with brake reservoir
footpeg blank off with tax disc holder and rear bobbin
Side view all done
Broken allen socket

Now waiting on first service when dealers open up again.

jhe3

Reaction score
Hello
Anybody know Discount code to Evotech Performance for MT-09
I would like to order a rad guard..
Thanks

Chuck

Reaction score
I grabbed an Evotech rad guard off eBay, I just liked the the fact it bolts on without removing any existing hardware :cool:

Last edited: