clunky gearbox

kriss

Reaction score
hi everyone, took bike out today and did aprox 180 miles but noticed the gearbox seemed very clunky clanky call it what you will. now it was a hot day and still not had first service ( done only 400 miles) so am hoping it was combination of hot day with running in oil still in engine and hopefully will smooth out when run in. on a couple of occasions I had no gears at all but don't think my bike is on gearbox recall so don't really know. chassis number is rn2960010930. many thanks in advance for any help/advice.

misscrabstick

Reaction score
It's not the worlds greatest gearbox to be fair, compared to my 20 year old zx6r the gearchange on the MT is like a russian tractor! it has improved a bit though with miles to be fair.

kriss

Reaction score
It's not the worlds greatest gearbox to be fair, compared to my 20 year old zx6r the gearchange on the MT is like a russian tractor! it has improved a bit though with miles to be fair.
that's what I wanted to hear and many thanks for the reply .

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
mine's as clunky as ever, 9,500 miles, 4 oil changes and it's no better than it was when new, the worst box I've had the misfortune to encounter, and this is my 9th Yamaha

Normsthename

Reaction score
the worst box I've had the misfortune to encounter, and this is my 9th Yamaha
The MT-09 gearbox is as smooth butter compared to some of the clunkers that I have owned over the Years!

Andy

kriss

Reaction score
mine's as clunky as ever, 9,500 miles, 4 oil changes and it's no better than it was when new, the worst box I've had the misfortune to encounter, and this is my 9th Yamaha
mine isn't clunky/clanky all the time but was expecting better from a new bike but from what ive read now its not me its the bikes box itself. hope will loosen up with more use. was a hot day here yesterday so with running oil and hot day hoping most of it was down to that.

derek28862

Reaction score
mine was a bit clunky at first especially hard to get into third but has smoothed out now that i have had the first service and put over a 1000 miles on the clock

kriss

Reaction score
mine was a bit clunky at first especially hard to get into third but has smoothed out now that i have had the first service and put over a 1000 miles on the clock
with each post my mind is being put more at ease many thanks to all who contributed.

lee1980

Reaction score
I have found mine pretty smooth and not clunky ala typical Honda, when cold its worse once warmed up though as smooth as many Ive had before clutchless up changes are really easy.

stevecbr

Reaction score
Mines now done 9600 miles and is still clunky, especially going into first. Gear selection is fine though, never jumps out of gear, and never missed a gear, so must be fine!

MJ09

Reaction score
UK, Midlands between coventry and Birmingham
At 400 miles my low speed gear change is very clunky, but then I am old school and tend to use the clutch for up shifts, I have noticed that its smoother just to roll off the power and nudge up to the next gear without the clutch.

I think that the cause is a dragging clutch, I am hoping it will improve after running in and first service. My 88 FZ750 has a better gearchsange....

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Our gearbox is not as silky as a typical Honda gearbox but after 18.500km i've found out 3 points that makes MT/FZ-09 gearbox better or worst..
1) IMO there are many better engine oils than Yamalube. I do the oil changes every 5.000km, putting a cheap ELF mototech4 10w-50 oil which advertise "smooth gear changes" & offers much better transmision, but i have heard good comments for the more expensive Bel-Ray EXS.
2) The slack of the clutch cable has to be adjusted properly and regularly, too much slack could make the gear changes "clunky".
3) The more km/mi you put in 09's engine the more the gearbox could become better.

Motuls and Castrols couldn't help for silky-smooth gear changes as many 09 owners here have found out...

kriss

Reaction score
Our gearbox is not as silky as a typical Honda gearbox but after 18.500km i've found out 3 points that makes MT/FZ-09 gearbox better or worst..
1) IMO there are many better engine oils than Yamalube. I do the oil changes every 5.000km, putting a cheap ELF mototech4 10w-50 oil which advertise "smooth gear changes" & offers much better transmision, but i have heard good comments for the more expensive Bel-Ray EXS.
2) The slack of the clutch cable has to be adjusted properly and regularly, too much slack could make the gear changes "clunky".
3) The more km/mi you put in 09's engine the more the gearbox could become better.

Motuls and Castrols couldn't help for silky-smooth gear changes as many 09 owners here have found out...
think ill point this out at first service as they are charging me £140 surely I can specify which oil I want

lee1980

Reaction score
think ill point this out at first service as they are charging me £140 surely I can specify which oil I want
I doubt it, usual response is we buy this and this in bulk and use that, might have a few different grades for different bikes is all. From a main dealer I guess a smaller dealer may do so.
Cant believe yamaha have stopped paying for labour on first service have all other makes done similar??

kriss

Reaction score
I doubt it, usual response is we buy this and this in bulk and use that, might have a few different grades for different bikes is all. From a main dealer I guess a smaller dealer may do so.
Cant believe yamaha have stopped paying for labour on first service have all other makes done similar??
good job they do buy in bulk at £140 a pop.

paultzr

Reaction score
Hi this is my first time on the forum.
I picked up my bike with only 230miles on the clock so it is as new, I've never ridden an MT-09 before making the purchase, I've been ridding bikes for nearly 40 years had many Yamahas in the past and currently own 3 other Yams so the MT is the 4th in my collection. The only adverse thing I have found is the clunky sound when up shifting, being old school I still use the clutch up and down the box and reading the owners manual it does state NOT to shift gear without using the clutch. It goes into gear nicely but it is just the clunky sound it makes, reading this thread it appears they may all be like it and it may get better with more miles on the clock. With only 230 miles I'm still running in using up to 5,500 RPM does is improve when changing up in the higher rev band?

chump

Reaction score
Not really noticed it being clunky. Could chain tension affect it? Worth checking as they're uber tight out of the box.