User Tag List

Bike
    R1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

R1 to Mt09 - anyone else 'downgraded'?

Always ridden sports bikes. Last count I have owned 16 bikes in 16 years of riding, from gixxer 750s to cbrs to R1s and back again.

My current bike is a 2013 R1 and while it is the best bike I have ever owned, this year I have found myself bimbling along my favourite roads at 70 mph thinking ' a middleweight naked would do this just as good, be better on the commute to work and cheaper to run. Probably less likely to do prison speeds too'.

I have test rides booked this weekend on 2017 mt09 and xsr900 to see whats what.

Anyone else changed over in a similar fashion and are you happy you did or do you find yourself pining for that shiny sports bike again a couple months later?

Bike
    MT-09
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Trust me if you're a hooligan on a R1 you'll be one on a MT09 too. You should also test ride a MT10 as well.
    Blazing Orange , Carbon Akrapovic , Ermax Sport Screen , Ermax Seat Cowl , Evotech Rad Guard , Evotech Rear Pegs Blanking Plates ,Woolich ECU tuned , DNA filter , Graves Block Off Plates ,R & G Tail Tidy

Bike
    Yamaha mt 09
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't downgrade as such but came from a CBR 600 I much prefer the position of the MT09, the triple is an awesome motor but I do miss the grunt of a litre in line 4 (had some bigger in line 4s before the CBR ... But the MT is a very capable bike...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Bike
    MT-09, Fazer8, MT-03
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TIM80 View Post
    Trust me if you're a hooligan on a R1 you'll be one on a MT09 too.
    Agreed - of all the bikes I've owned, this is the one that keeps saying to me, "Go on, you know you want to!" I have mate with a MT-10 and that's even more of hoolie machine.

Also, at the risk of being accused of heresy on this forum, try a Kawasaki Z900 before you finally decide.

Bike
    MT09, HD48, ZX12R, Fazer 600, Pan Euro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm far more of a hooooooligan on the MT than I am on any other of my bikes.... including a ZX12R and a SP1.

it's a great wee bike to have fun with... lol

Bike
    MT09
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have ridden litre bikes and grew up on sportsbikes and Ive found that out of the 2 naked bikes Ive had Ive ridden more like a hooligan coz they are just more fun. plus stick the MT in A mode and you cant not ride like a thug! in my case the decision was made for me due to an injury with my right hand meaning clip-ons become increasingly painful in a short amount of time, but I don't miss sportsbikes really, the MT is a sports bike, just not with plastic wrapped round it.
    Remember.....If in doubt......Use Full Throttle, It may not improve the situation, But it will end the suspense!