Thread: Speed wobble

Bike
    Mt09 tracer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speed wobble

The speed wobble is caused by the air flow of the screen. When my tracer was standard I had a slight wobble at high speed, then I put a givi screen on and had very bad wobbles at about 120. I then fitted a steering damper and a powerbronze sports screen, then there was no wobble at any speed. I recently went touring so I put the givi screen on to give me a little more protection, and even with a steering damper the wobble was back at about 120 again. When I got home I put the powerbronze screen back on and no more wobbles. All these theories that people keep coming up with about the cause of speed wobble, start with the screen especially if you have an aftermarket one.

Bike
    Tracer MT09 2017, FZ6 2007
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definately handy to know, thanks for sharing. I don't ride 120mph very often though, only occasionally on the autobahn in Germany, but I've never riden this bike at that speed, yet

Bike
    MT09 Tracer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine (standard) starts to get "floaty" around 115. It seems to get progressively worse, the faster you go, bordering on terrifying at an indicated 130. Definitively time to back off before then.

Bike
    900 Tracer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speed wobble

I've had mine with Shad panniers at 115mph cranked over following a BMW S1000RR with no problems at all. Speed wobble
    I've never experienced a wobble at any speed.

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before mine went I was putting time into the suspension. I remember some settings on the rear would affect how much lighter the front felt under hard acceleration.

But normal riding with constant throttle on any surface = no wobbles for me either.

Bike
    mt-09 tracer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys!

I have same trouble with nine, MY 2017 with abt 2,000 km on it. After 180 km/hr starts wobbling and this effect is worsening if keep speeding...

Is there any proven solution for this? I mean, is there anyone who really fixed it (went over 200km/hr without wobbling?) or this bike is just a cheap "placebo" for this category?

Thanks

Bike
    YAMAHA MT-09 ABS matt-grey
    Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city center, 100m from a sandy beach
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgadman View Post
    Hi guys!

I have same trouble with nine, MY 2017 with abt 2,000 km on it. After 180 km/hr starts wobbling and this effect is worsening if keep speeding...

Is there any proven solution for this? I mean, is there anyone who really fixed it (went over 200km/hr without wobbling?) or this bike is just a cheap "placebo" for this category?

Thanks
    Check the chain adjusters to have the same distance both sides.. its critical and maybe the sollution you are looking for.. don't trust the std lines at the swingarm because there is a minimum difference betweeen them in many of our bikes.
    the motorcycleboy reigns

Bike
    900 Tracer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Powerbronze sports screen and have never experienced a wobble at any speed, so I would say it's the screen as well.

Bike
    Mt09 tracer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MT10SP View Post
    I have the Powerbronze sports screen and have never experienced a wobble at any speed, so I would say it's the screen as well.
    Also with the powerbronze sports screen you get less wind noise through the crash helmet.

Bike
    mt-09 tracer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So by changing the stock screen with powerbronze in a stock bike with shocks in stock settings, the wobble will go?