Maxton prices

marcusfordus

Reaction score
Here's the prices my buddy got from Maxton.

GP20 Fork cartridges £480 + vat supplied and fitted.

Non remote RT10 rear shock £415 + vat

Remote Reservoir RT10 unit £580 + vat

misscrabstick

Reaction score
Excuse my probable silliness, what is wrong with the suspension the bike comes with? do you really ride it so hard that you will notice a difference that can't be obtained with the standard adjustments?

marthy

Reaction score
Here you go. 2008 ZX-10 triple clicker, $65.00 on fleebay. Stock spring seems ok for now... can't wait to ride when I get my retrofit back from Chad @ ARH.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

misscrabstick

Reaction score
Here you go. 2008 ZX-10 triple clicker, $65.00 on fleebay. Stock spring seems ok for now... can't wait to ride when I get my retrofit back from Chad @ ARH.

But why? what is wrong with what it came with? why is this better? I really want to know.

marthy

Reaction score
Rear spring too hard for me. No free sag. Then the damper doesn't have enough damping to control the squat on hard acceleration... stiffer spring to hold the platform is not the way to go.

But if you think your bike is perfect for you leave it alone. Nothing wrong with that...

misscrabstick

Reaction score
Rear spring too hard for me. No free sag. Then the damper doesn't have enough damping to control the squat on hard acceleration... stiffer spring to hold the platform is not the way to go.

But if you think your bike is perfect for you leave it alone. Nothing wrong with that...

Okdok, I understand that, thanks.

marcusfordus

Reaction score
The only thing I could fault the bike on was the rear shock. It just couldn't cope with the bumpy B roads of Derbyshire, creating a pogo effect from the front to the back between the forks and rear shock. The rear shock also looks like the cheapest component fitted to the bike (its as if Yamaha thought you would change it anyway, so lets not spend too much on it)

I like your thinking on the cheap replacement Marthy ! Do any of the late R6 shocks come close to fitting ( like the FZS1000 swap for an item from the R6 ? http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,936.0.html )

Last edited:

marthy

Reaction score
The only thing I could fault the bike on was the rear shock. It just couldn't cope with the bumpy B roads of Derbyshire, creating a pogo effect from the front to the back between the forks and rear shock. The rear shock also looks like the cheapest component fitted to the bike (its as if Yamaha thought you would change it anyway, so lets not spend too much on it)

I like your thinking on the cheap replacement Marthy ! Do any of the late R6 shocks come close to fitting ( like the FZS1000 swap for an item from the R6 ? Important for thoose wishing to source own R6 shock )
Might fit. But look at this one, this is the 2008-10 ZX-10. The canister is offset differently and fit much better. With the R6 you might have to cut the whole plastic tray where the ABS go.

2008 2009 2010 ZX10 ZX 10 ZX 10 Rear Shock Suspension Spring | eBay

mikeyboy1966

Reaction score
Hi,
New to the forum but just to let you know that I'll be getting my MT back from Maxton soon with new shock and fork internals. It's the first tat Maxton has done and Richard says the transformation is marked
Cheers
Mikeyboy1966

marcusfordus

Reaction score
Give it a good shakedown mikey then report back, as this is high on my list of adaptations.

The import taxes killed the Penske offering from across the pond for me.

Stripy

Reaction score
I've been in touch with Hyperpro in Holland; they are now starting to develop for the MT, and hopefully soon a full street race pack will be ready for a sensible price.

STROTCH

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm not surprised a few are talking about suspension upgrades. My MT-09 is the least confidence inspiring bike I've ever owned. It won't hold a line on bends on anything other than a dead smooth road, it just jumps sideways! Two bob suspension is quite common but Yamaha don't seem able to make it work. What worries me is, If I throw a grand at it for Maxton etc. and it still feels awkward, that's just more money wasted. Such a shame as it has a brilliant engine. I can live with the fuelling, seems to improve with miles on the clock but not the handling. I'm sorry if this upsets a few people who love their MTs but having ridden all my adult life I'm really disappointed with Yamaha and some of the bike press who are obviously in the manufacturers pockets.

marcusfordus

Reaction score
The change

Hi guys, I'm not surprised a few are talking about suspension upgrades. My MT-09 is the least confidence inspiring bike I've ever owned. It won't hold a line on bends on anything other than a dead smooth road, it just jumps sideways! Two bob suspension is quite common but Yamaha don't seem able to make it work. What worries me is, If I throw a grand at it for Maxton etc. and it still feels awkward, that's just more money wasted. Such a shame as it has a brilliant engine. I can live with the fuelling, seems to improve with miles on the clock but not the handling. I'm sorry if this upsets a few people who love their MTs but having ridden all my adult life I'm really disappointed with Yamaha and some of the bike press who are obviously in the manufacturers pockets.
If you drop onto the US of A FZ-09 forums, you will read about their suspension mods already done, and totally transforming the bike to what it should have been from the crate.:D

jamesmvagusta

Reaction score
Hi,
New to the forum but just to let you know that I'll be getting my MT back from Maxton soon with new shock and fork internals. It's the first tat Maxton has done and Richard says the transformation is marked
Cheers
Mikeyboy1966
Hi Mikeyboy,
I plan to visit Maxton as soon as possible after x-mas, I would really like any feedback on your impressions when you have tested the changes.
Thanks
James

Martyn6241

Reaction score
I put a deposit down on the street rally then test rode the standard bike, It is awful, the rear shock can't react to bumpy B roads which is what it's supposed to be for and trailing the brakes into a corner the bike just wants to go straight on. I've had every type of bike going and currently ride a BMW R1200GS which handles fantastic so I might be a bit spoilt. Didn't like the riding position of the standard one as your pitched too far forward by the seat then your legs are a bit too far back for me, hopefully the street rally will be better with a flatter seat and different pegs. My priority will be suspension and exhaust ( triples sound mint with open pipes ) I will get used to the fuelling and then it's wheelie time

trevorleigh

Reaction score
I know Richard at Maxton pretty well, he has done suspension mods on my last 2 Yamaha Fazers (Yam do not seem to be able to get it right!) He has confirm that huge improvements can be made on the MT with a different rear shock, and fork cartridges, Maxton have many years experience in Motorcycle suspension for both road and race. This is their findings and recommendations:

FRONT
The front forks on the MT-09 are upside down forks with preload adjustment in both legs but only rebound damping adjustment in one leg. The forks feel like ‘harsh pogosticks’. Over small bumps they can kick and make the front end a bit nervous at high speeds, but the biggest problem with these forks is the lack of rebound damping, this causes the front of the bike to spring back very quickly when you let go of the brake, making the bike difficult to get in to a corner and run wide out of corners. The springs in the forks are OK for the average rider weight. The damping and springing have been split between the forks, the left leg has a spring inside but no damping and the right leg has a spring and damping inside. This means that the damping leg has to have twice as much rebound damping and compression damping to compensate for the other leg having no damping.

The damping leg can be revalved to try and prevent the forks springing back too quickly, but when you do this the ride becomes even harsher over small bumps. This means you can not revalve the damping successfully, so we replace the internal fork cartridges for our GP20 fork cartridges. The Maxton GP20 fork cartridges have rebound damping and compression damping in both legs. To reduce the cost of the cartridges we use the standard fork tops, so this means even though you have rebound damping and compression damping in both legs the rebound damping is only altered from one leg. The GP20 cartridges are built to order so we valve and spring them to suit your rider weight and what you are using the bike for.

The damping inside the forks is progressive, this means the first part of the travel is soft and compliant but the faster and further the forks move the more support and control the forks have. This means the forks will absorb small bumps in the road but under heavy braking they have support and also control when you let go of the brake. We fit springs to the GP20 cartridges to suit your rider weight and what you are using the bike for. The cost of the GP20 fork cartridges is £340.00 + V.A.T per pair, the cost of servicing the forks with new fork seals and fitting the GP20 cartridges is an extra £140.00 + V.A.T per pair.

If you would like adjustable rebound damping in both legs we supply our GP20 fork cartridges with new Maxton fork tops. These cartridges cost £480.00 + V.A.T per pair and an extra £140.00 + V.A.T to fit them with new fork seals.

REAR
The standard unit on the MT-09 is very cheap; the unit feels like a ‘pogostick’ as it does not have enough rebound damping. The spring on the unit is too soft for the average rider weight. The standard unit is a sealed item so can not be revalved or rebuilt. We could respring the unit and fit a harder spring but this would only make the rear of the bike more of a ‘pogostick’.We recommend replacing the unit with a Maxton NON-remote unit. This unit is basically an RT10 shock without the remote reservoir. The Maxton unit is an alloy bodied high pressure gas shock with a floating piston to separate the oil and gas. The unit is adjustable for rebound damping, compression damping, preload and ride height adjustment.

The Maxton unit is built to order so we valve and spring the shock to suit your rider weight and what you are using the bike for, we also base set the adjusters at a setting that suits you. The preload adjustment is very quick and easy to get to. The Maxton unit costs £415.00 + V.A.T.
I will be order my rear damper in January, and be saving up for the fork modifications, as I know it will work how it should do.

Matheu Swartjes

Reaction score
I've been in touch with Hyperpro in Holland; they are now starting to develop for the MT, and hopefully soon a full street race pack will be ready for a sensible price.
Hyperpro Holland is using my MT-09 as their development bike. They have to be done in about 2 weeks time (because that's the date I'll get my bike delivered). I keep you all posted.

Dzjiepie

Reaction score
Hyperpro Holland is using my MT-09 as their development bike. They have to be done in about 2 weeks time (because that's the date I'll get my bike delivered). I keep you all posted.

Welkom.
I am curious what Hyperpro comes up with.
Keep us posted.

jamesmvagusta

Reaction score
Hi Mikeyboy1966,
any news on the Maxton mods yet.
I am keen to go the same route goods as promised.
Thanks
James

Hi,
Cheers
Mikeyboy1966

pipski99

Reaction score
I know this isn't an MT-09 related video clip but wanted to throw it out as it sounds like these guys could work over the MT-09 suspension a treat.

Maxton rework

Also I'm not over keen on MCN's videos or reviews but this seems quite informative.