Tyres

wakers

Reaction score
Been away from bikes for a while (6yrs) anyway got myself an MT09 in October, mine came with Dunlop sport max on it and I've not had any issues but not overly convinced with wet weather performance.
What have people used ?
My favorites in the past were a Bridgestone 010 front 020 rear but appreciate things have moved on...
Something that's good for commuting in all weathers and grippy too for the odd loon day, don't ever go on a track though, really like something grippy as possible on the front, rear not so fussy... Cheers

Steely

Reaction score
Michelin Pilot Road 4's. Stunning tyres, Great in wet and dry, and they last well.

Laffli

Reaction score
Dunlop roadsmart 3 read the reviews. I have used roadsmart 1&2 tyres and they were brilliant, the reviews say that the 3's are even better.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
PR4's great performance wet & dry great mileage out of them as well I have about 5000k miles on a set now and the rear will certainly last at least another 3k.

chump

Reaction score
had no issues with the OEM Dunlops. Hate the S20. Probably looking at Q2s or Rosso Corsa nest.

Stripy

Reaction score
I used to go for the PR4's - now i've tried the new Matzeler Raodtec 01's - they beat the PR4's

Shaun64

Reaction score
Iam on metzeler road tec 01 s very good tyre.

wakers

Reaction score
Done 1652 miles and the rear Dunlop is looking pretty much buggared lol surprised it's worn so quickly but i gather the torque is probably chewing it up, front is looking fine, do people mix tyre brands these days ? Not really fancying another Dunlop on the back.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Shaun64

Reaction score
Done 1652 miles and the rear Dunlop is looking pretty much buggared lol surprised it's worn so quickly but i gather the torque is probably chewing it up, front is looking fine, do people mix tyre brands these days ? Not really fancying another Dunlop on the back.

I don't and wouldn't recommend it unless your really skint or just using it for work plus a new set of tyres feels great compared to the shite you have on,you can get Michelin PR2s round my way fitted to loose wheels £170 plus at this time of year many tyre manufacturers have deals on like £30 off etc.

Crazytown

Reaction score
Have a set of Michelin PR4's on the bike right now.
Good tyres, especially in the wet.
Wanted some Dunlop Road Smart 3 but non available at the time (in Singapore)

stevecbr

Reaction score
I currently have the Michelin pilot road 3's, they have done just over 5000 miles, still a fair bit left. Very good all round, I ride year round so can safely say great in the wet

Littlebruv

Reaction score
Anyone using the new Dunlop road smart 3 yet on their bike ?.

AtomicPunk

Reaction score
I don't and wouldn't recommend it unless your really skint or just using it for work plus a new set of tyres feels great compared to the shite you have on,you can get Michelin PR2s round my way fitted to loose wheels £170 plus at this time of year many tyre manufacturers have deals on like £30 off etc.
There is no problem mixing brands as long as you get a good rear tire why waste all the tread on the front by replacing it. I have done this many many times without a problem.

Laffli

Reaction score
Tyre companies do not recommend mix matching tyres, especially different makes. its not something that I would do, because all tyres handle differently. The dunlop d222 shite I got with my Tracer, compared to dunlop-roadsmart-iii that I have on now feels like a different bike.

Shaun64

Reaction score
There is no problem mixing brands as long as you get a good rear tire why waste all the tread on the front by replacing it. I have done this many many times without a problem.
Each to there own but I find my front tyres are only 500 mile behind the rear in wear difference,I find at first glacé the front may look like new but the shoulders are down to there wear markers,I suppose it all depends on we're and how you ride.my bikes avoid motorways There only used for fun so get plenty twisties in.

wakers

Reaction score
Think I'm going to try some Metzeler roadtecs, to be honest the front has been less than convincing in the wet so will swap the pair... Though I've had no issues in the dry.

wakers

Reaction score
Has anyone used Michelin pilot power's? Local shop has a pair for £129 tempted by price I know they are older tyres. Ta.

Shaun64

Reaction score
Has anyone used Michelin pilot power's? Local shop has a pair for £129 tempted by price I know they are older tyres. Ta.

Old sports tyres ghat won't last very long that's why there cheap.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
I'm looking for the next set of tyres and in Athens is difficult to find the new Metzeler Roadtec 01.
Allthough i can find Metzeler roadtec Z8 & Michelin PR4 for the same price.
After using 2 sets of the excellent imo PR4 i'm thinking to try the Z8.
But first i need to get the permision of the Forum...

bobh

Reaction score
I've just fitted a Dunlop Roadsmart 2 on the back, with the OEM Dunlop still on the front (but probably not for much longer). Works fine, though I haven't been out in the wet yet.

As other posters have said, mixing brands can create handling problems due to different profiles - though when you think about it, every tyre changes its profile during its life (fronts get pointier, rears get squarer), and we don't worry too much about that. But I've mixed different models from the same brand several times with no ill effects.

I had the original Roadsmarts on my Fazer 6 and they were excellent, and lasted for ages, so I'm hoping the Mk2 version will be even better.