Tracer Traction Control Questions - Help Please!

Queestce

Reaction score
G'day all,

I test rode a 2016 MT09 Tracer this morning. Well. I'm pretty much sold! It was an awesome bike. Lives up to the reviews in every way. Here in Australia the 2017 model is not yet released, so the bike I rode was a 2016 model. Before I go ahead and buy one, I was hoping some of the Tracer owners on here might be able to help me answer a couple of questions...

Firstly, is truly the case that the 2016 model TCS can only be either on 100%, or off? No other way to adjust the level of it at all?

Secondly, for those with the bike who have had the TCS intervene, how did it feel?... Probably seems a strange question, but to me, it seemed like a huge interruption to the engine whenever it came on; it felt a lot more like I had hit an RPM limiter - though I know I hadn't. I have ridden other bikes with TCS and never had it cut the power so abruptly, or noticeably. I only really noticed it coming out of corners, hard on the throttle in 1st, or the few times I tried to power wheelie it in first... I actually couldn't get the front wheel up at all in 1st with the TCS turned on. I'd roll the throttle, the engine would bite a bit, then it would limit itself in pretty noticeable "chunks". With it turned off it was free revving and lovely.

It'd be a shame to buy a bike with TC and then have to turn it off to be able to enjoy a "spirited" ride, but I presume the one I was riding wasn't just an anomaly, and that others have noticed the same thing?

Any thoughts or advice would be very much appreciated!

Cheers all,

Tom

Hexme

Reaction score
Hi Tom,

I probably won't be much help but I'll try. I test rode a 2017 model at the weekend, I thought the TCS has 3 levels on the 2017? Anyway I can't remember exactly what I had things set to but never remember any of the things you mention above happening.

I do remember giving the bike a handful in 1st gear and just felt like any other bike of that size I've owned.

Perhaps with an ECU flash it could be switched off as a default and switched on if you required it? I'm sure one of the boffin's on here can answer that?

Hope this helps, if only a bit!

Tony

Shaun64

Reaction score
My 2016 tracer has traction control but I don't think it can be adjusted,when I test rode a tracer I switched the Tcs off as I arrived on a non tcs bike,the dealer said think of Tcs as anti wheely and that's how I think of it now,if I give my bike full throttle with the tcs on it cuts in but sometimes it's barely noticeable and other times it's more noticeable but only in first gear so it obviously down to road conditions what tyres are on the bike,if you feel like twating about then switch it off it only takes a second but for most riding you will never notice it unless you give it full throttle In first gear,after reading an article on triumph street triple RS one of the few criticisms was if you want tcs on the bends then wheely on the straights then you would need to stop between bends to knock the tcs off to do wheelys! Sign of the times I am afraid.

bikeral

Reaction score
I've never felt it cut in that much to be honest. It takes a second to turn it off, which becomes part of my routine if I want a fun ride

Mr. Funtcase

Reaction score
Like bikeral I don't really notice the tcs at all, apart from allowing a bit more confidence getting on the throttle a bit earlier coming out of corners on damp/wet roads. Obviously it's a proven safety feature otherwise it wouldn't be there and if you want it can be turned off. I say don't worry about it.

Thing i've learnt over the years is that wheelies are fun, but the coppers certainly don't share that view.

otaylor38

Reaction score
The reason you couldn't get the front wheel to come up with the TCS on is because it also acts as an anti-wheelie function.

If the back wheel is speeding up and the front slowing down, the bike recognises the wheels off the ground and cuts in the TCS to keep it down.

It can cut in slightly abruptly but i don't find it to be over abrupt.

As above, if it really bothers you, turn it off. The 2017 model does have 3 levels of TCS

Queestce

Reaction score
Thanks very much for all the replies. Much appreciated!

I know it's not really a big deal, and certainly not hard to turn off. I suppose really what I'm wondering is whether it is worth waiting until they release the 2017 model here and buying that, instead of going for a 2016 model now and missing out on the 3 stage TC/slipper clutch. I figured if I had the 3 stage TC perhaps I could find a setting that allowed bit more hooligan behavior, but still gives some of the safety benefit of having the TC on. Glad to know you guys aren't finding it too intrusive either way. I have to admit, I did only notice it hard on the gas in 1st out of corners, and when I was actively trying to pick the front wheel up.

Hmmmmm, decisions decisions... I really wish Yamaha would just disclose when they were going to release the 2017's here in Aus! I'm buying new, so it'd be a shame if I purchased it and then the bike was superseded a week later!

bikeral

Reaction score
3 levels of TC on the 2017 model would be handy, but like I said I couldn't feel it kicking in. If your impatient like me then I would certainly buy now. You never know what tomorrow will bring ;)

Tracer lines

Reaction score
My AUS Tracer 2015 has traction control which is ON or OFFonly which is manully controlled on the left hand side of the main control panel. The mode switch on the rhs allows you to control the performance giving you modes A: agressive Std: normal B: they say wet mode, never have I used this mode.

Queestce

Reaction score
Emissions impossible; what Euro 4 really means | MCN

Not sure how you guys down under are affected, but this might be why the 2017 isn't available to you. Might be worth having a chat with your local Yam dealer.
I'm not too sure about the effects of that down here. I have tried chatting to multiple dealers, with little success... It seems they genuinely have no idea when/if the 17 models will arrive. I know Yamaha have dropped the wholesale price of the 16 models, and that dealers aren't able to order any more in... So I would hope that means they are on their last legs and soon to be replaced.

It is VERY hard not to waltz down to the dealer and buy a brand new 2016 model; especially because they have offered me an amazing price on it! I think I will wait 3 weeks until the start of May, and if they still have no idea of when the 17's might come on line I'll have a serious think about how much I need that traction control adjustment! The assist/slipper clutch is a nice upgrade too. As is the fact that the 17 is factory wired for the quickshifter - which I'd be planning to put on regardless. I'm also a sucker for a matte black bike!

Hmmmm. Decisions decisions...

Thion

Reaction score
I got the 2017 Tracer 900 and I am driving in A-mode and TRC set to 1 all the time. I had TRC set to the most responsive 2 when I got it, but that mode responded as you describe, cutting the engine drasticly and doesnt allow front wheel to come up. In mode 1, it allow more sportier driving, back wheel can slip some befor interacting, and when it interact I havent felt it. It also allow front wheel to come up so you have to be more aware of course...I have never felt any engice cut or any other interference when driving in mode 1 so it is perfect for me. Hope this clarify some of your questions.

Also, it does`nt reset to STD when powering off and on. Mine is set to A and 1, and it stays that way so I dont have to change mode for every trips I take.