New 2017 MT09 ABS

kev

Reaction score
Just a couple of things, does the "tool kit" comprise of a screwdriver and one small allen key, if so what size is the rear wheel nut? is the front spindle hex 14mm, I've no hex keys between 12mm and 17mm, and no sockets over 22mm, so want to make sure I buy the right ones. Also the owners hand book shows a different clock face to mine, e.g. mine has left AND right flasher tell-tail lights, have I got the wrong hand book, (from what I can tell it was printed in 2015), thanks.

Tommy

Reaction score
Your tool kit has a spanner, a rear shock adjusting C spanner and an extension handle for it. The allen key and screwdriver are attached to the bottom of the seat, the other tools should come in a plastic wallet with a rubber bungee to attach it to the underside of the seat.. Front axle is 14mm hex, rear axle nut is 27mm. Your owners handbook should be part number BS2-28199-EO for model number model number MTN850-A, mine says published 2016, first edition. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Just downloaded the PDF for the 2016 model, sounds like its that one you've been given. I'd get onto your dealer, mine didn't give me a service warranty book with mine, gave me some BS story about Yamaha not using them now "as we keep all service records on our computer", was clearly an attempt to get me to come back for all my servicing, had to get it from the main distributors. I'm finished with them once my first service is done.

Last edited:

kev

Reaction score
thanks for that Tommy, will have to sort it out?

kev

Reaction score
I phoned J&S Doncaster yesterday about the tool kit and hand book, they said they would get the person who deals with it to phone me back, nothing, but that's standard for them, they never return your calls, so the bike is in for it's first service on Tuesday, do I pay the £100? or make them wait if the missing stuff isn't ready for me.

kev

Reaction score
Well I took the bike for the first service, they said that with the 2017 model you don't get the tools in the plastic wallet just the screwdriver and small, allen key, so I asked how you adjust the rear shock if you wan to take a pillion on the back, you bring it into the service centre, (a 50 mile round trip), is that with or without the pillion I asked?, then I asked about the hand book, they did admit that I had been given the wrong one, but the I should have been given had been given to someone else, so ordered one for me, to be posted. So I paid the £100 pounds for the service and headed off home..... and the OIL WARNING LIGHT came on.

bloggsy

Reaction score
Just looked under the seat on my 2017 MT-09 and there s a black plastic wallet and lo and behold inside is a 12mm14mm open end spanner a C spanner and a metal tube that slips over the end of the C spanner, I would get back to the dealer and tell him if the tools that should be under the seat aren't given to you then Trading Standards will be involved.

kev

Reaction score
bloggsy you must be seeing things because they said they don't come with the 2017 bikes, anyway that's the least of my worries, the fact they didn't put enough oil in the engine and the oil warning light came on if I went any faster than 50, I was near my daughters house so went there and made them bring some oil to me.
Yamaha's road show is at Squires Café this week-end, so might go and see what they have to say about it, not very happy with things. t
PS thanks for the reply.

fazers1

Reaction score
I got 2017 tracer tool kit in plastic wallet under seat also

bloggsy

Reaction score
bloggsy you must be seeing things because they said they don't come with the 2017 bikes, anyway that's the least of my worries, the fact they didn't put enough oil in the engine and the oil warning light came on if I went any faster than 50, I was near my daughters house so went there and made them bring some oil to me.
Yamaha's road show is at Squires Café this week-end, so might go and see what they have to say about it, not very happy with things. t
PS thanks for the reply.
Are you calling me a liar???

kev

Reaction score
no bloggsy, I wasn't calling you a liar, we all know who is telling porkies, lol.

kev

Reaction score
After phoning Yamaha direct they are going to post me the missing tool kit, I will not be using J&S Doncaster for anything, if they can't even do an oil change then they need to move to peddle cycles.

Reaction score
I find J&S a bit odd, their clothing side is pretty good, they seem helpful and don't give any pressure to buy, yet the bikes section are rubbish, whilst shopping for my MT09 i looked at a 2015 model they had in, was told it was definitely a 2016, when i pointed out it wasn't i was told "I meant it would be registered as a 2016"
They offered me a grand less on trade in for my WR125 than i got at another dealer, and i got the worst pressure sell for the MT i've ever had -

"you need to leave a deposit or it will be gone tomorrow, the new ones coming out will be £1500 more and this won't last till the end of the week, it'll definitely not be here, would you like to leave the deposit cash or card? we'll only save it if you leave a deposit, you'll lose it otherwise, a guy was in earlier and he's said he'd be back to buy it this afternoon..."

Funny because it was there a fortnight later...

Still, back to toolkits... Can anyone explain why i have a looped length of wire in mine?

kev

Reaction score
Well I got the tool kit this morning after contacting Yamaha UK twice, the handbook came last week after phoning J&S yet again, at least now I can see mpg etc.

TWMoto

Reaction score
I find J&S a bit odd, their clothing side is pretty good, they seem helpful and don't give any pressure to buy, yet the bikes section are rubbish, whilst shopping for my MT09 i looked at a 2015 model they had in, was told it was definitely a 2016, when i pointed out it wasn't i was told "I meant it would be registered as a 2016"
They offered me a grand less on trade in for my WR125 than i got at another dealer, and i got the worst pressure sell for the MT i've ever had -

"you need to leave a deposit or it will be gone tomorrow, the new ones coming out will be £1500 more and this won't last till the end of the week, it'll definitely not be here, would you like to leave the deposit cash or card? we'll only save it if you leave a deposit, you'll lose it otherwise, a guy was in earlier and he's said he'd be back to buy it this afternoon..."

Funny because it was there a fortnight later...

Still, back to toolkits... Can anyone explain why i have a looped length of wire in mine?
Having worked for J&S (not at Doncaster) clothing and the accessories is their main deal. I don't know how the move into bikes came about but it is a bit of a bolt on to the business.