Mobile speed camara vans

Shaun64

Reaction score
Well I am fxxking sick of them this year nearly every time I have a ride out I see one in North Yorkshire and I've had some near £100 & 3 points moments I've not been going daft and they have all been in national speed limit of 60 mph,I've had another close one today I know my speedo is around 5-6 mph out compared to sat nav so I was doing a true 64-65 in 60,I am seriously thinking about selling the tracer and buying something steady .

Gruffalo

Reaction score
Luckily we don't have points here in Holland, but about a month ago I got pulled over on my FZ6 for riding over double the stated speed limit (going just over 100km/h in a 50 zone). The area is very quiet, non residential and has good views of all junctions (Holland is flat). In Holland normally this means an automatic suspension of your license, but I got lucky, the motocop just gave me a warning (phew), and warned me that they would be checking this road in coming weeks . It doesn't matter what you ride, unless it's a pushbike of course :)

El Bandito

Reaction score
Shaun,

Something a bit steady? Get an MT125. You'd probably have plenty fun ringing it's neck keeping up the corner speed but you'd still be going fast enough to get pulled! ��

Shaun64

Reaction score
I've calmed down lol not selling tracer,I've had a look at steady bikes today and They are all shite! I had ago on a Honda crf250l on Monday as a second bike and I could get points on that! Cheers lads.

Reaction score
Every year as the weather gets warmer the camera vans are out in force, especially on the best/most popular biking roads, they were out along the A638 last time i had a run over to J&S, luckily i had my younger brother behind me on his 125 or i'd have likely been going a bit over.

It's part of riding/driving life i suppose, and it's nothing to do with the bike, even an old BSA will do 50 in a 30, it'll only go as fast as you twist the throttle...

It's annoying as we all nip over the limit a bit at times but it's more annoying that they put them in sneaky places like just after a corner or just after a speed change, and that's got bugger all to do with safety and everything to do with easy fines.

Shaun64

Reaction score
Yeah I agree in 30 40 50 I stick to the limits but national speed limit means you can play abit,what fxxks me off is you rarely see them in villages near schools etc.

stevierst

Reaction score
Gotta admit, the camera vans in lancashire are placed in areas where dickhead bikers 'take the piss', in villages, on mega long straights, and built up '30' zones. I'm perfectly happy with this and in my opinion the offenders get what they deserve!

At the end of the day we all speed, it's part of the thrill of a bike, just keep your observation up and you will probably spot them before the 'ping' you. But the vans that hide in places need reporting as there's specific criteria on how visible they are in the uk!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

deadb0y

Reaction score
Eerm.. Don't scamera vans do people based on approaching speed? IE; park to the left of the road facing with the traffic and get traffic coming towards them?

Bikes don't have any number plates on the front!

Shaun64

Reaction score
What about when you pass it! It has cameras front side & rear.

deadb0y

Reaction score
What about when you pass it! It has cameras front side & rear.
What?? You are joking aren't you... The only scamera vans I've seen (in the UK) have a rear facing camera and that's it.. Do a google image search on "uk speed camera van" and you'll see what I mean.

Don't take my word for it, it's your license, but I've never slowed down for a camera van, SPECS average speed camera or GATSO camera (going forward, square lens) on a bike and I've never been done for speeding on a bike either!

undertheposts

Reaction score
What?? You are joking aren't you... The only scamera vans I've seen (in the UK) have a rear facing camera and that's it.. Do a google image search on "uk speed camera van" and you'll see what I mean.

Don't take my word for it, it's your license, but I've never slowed down for a camera van, SPECS average speed camera or GATSO camera (going forward, square lens) on a bike and I've never been done for speeding on a bike either!
Got clocked by a mobile van which was parked on the right and clocked me from the rear as I passed.

johnb09

Reaction score

I have recently been done by a camera van - 85 in a 50
I was doing 85 approaching the rear of the van and slowed right down to 40 when i got near it !
But it had already got me and they took the photo from the rear with my brake light on as i passed FFS

It goes on your percentage over the limit
Which was the equivalent of doing 120 on the motorway, so i thought i was up for a ban
Was going to get a solicitor at £600 to represent me but i chose to plead by letter as they offered a 30% discount in fine
Your fine is based on your wages 1 and a half times your weekly wage
I got away with 6 points and £350 fine and i jumped for joy and bought the MT09 3 days after getting my points LOL

Shaun64

Reaction score
Johnb09, how long after offence did letter come through door? I've heard of some getting there letters 2 days after.

Laffli

Reaction score
Someone recently got done on A47 at acle in Norfolk at 105mph. He received an 18 month ban and a £4200 fine inc costs.

andz

Reaction score
Here they hide and some are quite ingenious, they sit behind a tree or if there is no tree they bring their own bush in a tub!

I've see pictures of cameras built into wheelie bins and even built in the the Armco barrier. No rules on visibility here. So it's not about slowing you down it's about making money.

They will either jump out in front of you or send you something in the post.

I got done on 25 May in my car, I was handed the ticket and since then I have tried to pay it several times, only to be told it is not in their system yet.

johnb09

Reaction score
Johnb09, how long after offence did letter come through door? I've heard of some getting there letters 2 days after.
They have up to 14 days to let you know of intended prosecution
The 1st notice did come in 3 days tho.....
Then they have up to 6 months to prosecute and that took 5 months 2 weeks FFS !
"would of got away with it, if it wasn't for those pesky kids"

undertheposts

Reaction score

Two New Speed Camera Vans Deployed

Gruffalo

Reaction score
Here it varies, generally when they are trying to make a dangerous stretch of road safer they tend to be conspicuous, (I got pulled over on a stretch of road at the weekend, they pulled me over even though I wasn't speeding, but this was as I'd seen them in plenty of time, they just told me that this stretch of road had been earmarked as a dangerous road for bikes, so they would be doing more speed checks on it) other times they have radars in wheelie bins or some cop sitting in the long grass, with his vehicle out of sight.

When I'm over in the UK I never get tickets sent on but more recently the Netherlands have made agreements with Germany and Belgium to send on any speed tickets.

Shaun64

Reaction score
They have up to 14 days to let you know of intended prosecution
The 1st notice did come in 3 days tho.....
Then they have up to 6 months to prosecute and that took 5 months 2 weeks FFS !
"would of got away with it, if it wasn't for those pesky kids"
At least your not banned,cheers.