Anyone any thoughts about the MT-03

Morseman

Reaction score
I friend of mine has found an advert for a 57 plate, 660cc, MT-03 and I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on the bike? Have you owned one and, if so, what to look out for please?

Thanks for any advice.

bloggsy

Reaction score
I have one I use as a hack, it is a quirky bike but I have got to like it as much as my new MT-09 and cos it was cheap I can abuse it, there is a review on the bennetts website which is pretty accurate.For a 57 plate I wouldn't pay more than 2k .

Last edited:

Morseman

Reaction score
Thanks, the one that was for sale was £1,900 but it went before we could go and see it. Seen a couple more, advertised at just over £2k but I will suggest that they haggle a bit.

I found out that the Cush Drive needs checking, but doesn't look like a difficult job to replace. Again, a point to haggle on if needed.

This will be their 1st 'bigger' bike when they pass their test. I know it's OK on an A2 (UK) licence but they are looking to do the Full A anyway.

Morseman

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice and information. When we got to see the bike it was in very good condition, in my opinion anyway, but when my friend tried to sit on the bike she found out that she could only just get the balls of her feet onto the floor.

After asking at the Yamaha dealership about lowering it they said that, from what they could find out, it could only be lowered by about 25mm (about an inch) so that wouldn't make enough of a difference so she's decided not to get an MT-03.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Thanks for the advice and information. When we got to see the bike it was in very good condition, in my opinion anyway, but when my friend tried to sit on the bike she found out that she could only just get the balls of her feet onto the floor.
After asking at the Yamaha dealership about lowering it they said that, from what they could find out, it could only be lowered by about 25mm (about an inch) so that wouldn't make enough of a difference so she's decided not to get an MT

Find her a bmw f650gs... that is perfect for female and short riders.

El Bandito

Reaction score
Why not try an MT07. I thought the seat height was quite low on that and it's a very light bike as well.

bobh

Reaction score
I have a MT-03. A friend was interested in buying it for his partner, but she too found it was too tall (or maybe the saddle is too wide - either way she couldn't get her feet down safely.

They've ended up buying a new-style MT-03, but I guess those will still be beyond the budget for a year or two.

Morseman

Reaction score
Quick update.

Thanks for all the suggestions. My friend delayed doing the MOD 1 and 2 tests as her daughter was on holiday from School and she didn't have time. Now that the schools are back again, she's started the training and I don't think it will take long before the tests are passed.

She's decided on a Kawasaki Z650, which apparently can be lowered to lower than her Van Van. Although well over the £2,000 cash idea she's organising a PCP payment deal.

Thanks again for the suggestions for suitable bikes.