ABS-Pros/cons To have or not to have, that is .....

rob5006

Reaction score
Hi. There is an ABS version due soon. The date of release for the ABS version changes daily. The last i heard was Dec this year.
Will it be like the street triple with the ability to turn it on and off or is it fixed ?
There are two schools of thought with the MT09/FZ08 and Abs
1. The bike is a stunty performer and to have Abs on it would negate the bikes ability to do 'stoppies and skids'etc, thus defeating the object of one of the benefits of having this type of bike.
2. Abs is for 'newbies' and that this bike is aimed at experienced riders who know how to brake efficiently without locking the brakes.

Your views and comments please

Stripy

Reaction score
My manual states nothing about disabling the ABS, so i doubt it will be possible.
On bikes where it is possible, they have normally highlighted it in the marketing material, and that seems not to be the case here.

The availability i have heard from two dealers was mid/end of November for the ABS models.
Thats what's being said in most reviews as well, however, they where one to two weeks delayed with the launch, so that could be the case with the ABS model as well.
I am sure, if you do put a deposit down for an ABS model, the dealer will be able to tell you more precisely.

If you want to play, buy it without ABS.
If you don't want to play, buy it without ABS.
If you want to feel safe because you are new to riding, do some extra training with instructor, for example Ride Safe ( i think they are called like that), and eventually go for the ABS.
But if you have the slightest plan to make a bit of fun, go without.
I've had it on 2 bikes; One on Aprilia Dorsoduro which eventually failed a lot, and then lately on the Ducati Multistrada, where it could be turned off.
On the Duc, it worked good, never had the use for it.
Used it once on the Dorso.

Think ahead to plan for surprises and use your skills, built them up, and use them even more - your skills, that is :)

I am not sure about ABS - i can see a good thing about it, if you ride in winter though. But if you go racing, i think it should be the new "anti roll ABS" like KTM's new, or traction control.

But for you and me as deadly normal people - i'd only get it, if i felt i was a necessity.

rob5006

Reaction score
I've go a test ride sorted for friday. I have a suzuki GSR750 at the moment and can't fault it so will be interesting to compare both bikes. How do you find the brakes on the mt09 ? I've heard they are excellent.

Stripy

Reaction score
I've go a test ride sorted for friday.
Sounds great - going to Robinsons?
Be careful if they still think it have traction control; that's what they told me. Yet to see the evidence :)
May I suggest you pay a visit to SMC bikes in Sheffield, too? They made me a far better deal than Robinsons. Just say hello from Morten :D

How do you find the brakes on the mt09 ?
Usually the brakes are found not far from the center of the wheel as a block "grabbing" over a rotation disc....
The front brakes handle is usually found as an handle on the right side of the handlebar.... :cool::eek:;)
I'd recommend to thoroughly read the user manual for these instruction to get best out of it ;)
(Sorry, couldn't help it, needed to joke a bit;)

I've heard they are excellent.
You're quite right. They work perfect every time - not like a Multistrada :eek:

rob5006

Reaction score
Robinsons still havent got their demo up and running yet. Its the 9th of October!!!-cowboys !
Had my name down for a test ride for two weeks.
Going to test ride at Padgetts in Batley. Had great service from them in the past.
Looking for decent offer on Mygsr and decent finance package.
Will also consider Sheffield.
Many thanks for your replies. It all helps in the decision making process and so don't have to rely on usual dealer bullshit.

Stripy

Reaction score
Oh, not?
When I was up there the week before last, they had a matt grey in the shop, and I was told it would be made into demo.
Hmm... maybe they just are full of bullshit... I wouldn't trust them then. Had too many bad experiences with dealers :(

Sheffield provided me with a cracking finance deal, not pcp, but less than half in interest of the official Yamaha offer, and that's with nada in deposit.
Sheffield is also a Suzuki dealer, so could be easier to do a deal. Ask for Nigel and say hello from me :)

rob5006

Reaction score
Yes they still have the grey one in the shop but i don't think they have grasped the logic of people demo ing the bike, liking it, and then buying it !
Sheffield sounds promising. Will make some enqs. Thanks for your input. knowledge is power and all that.
Gracias por su ayuda!

rob5006

Reaction score
Spoke with Nigel at sheffield bike center and have arranged for a test ride on mt09. Seems like a square dealer and is extremely helpfull/professional.
Hopefully, all will go well tomorrow and i'll come away with a good deal/package.
Thanks for your help in this matter, morten.

rob5006

Reaction score
A big thank you to James, Nigel and all the staff at Sheffield bike center. Just purchased an MT09.
The staff couldn't have been any more helpful. Very friendly, knowledgable and professional. Made the transaction very smooth and straight forward. A1. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !!
(Also thanks to Jan for the coffee and butty!)
Hope to deal with you all again. (Cheers Morten for pushing me in the right direction)

Stripy

Reaction score
A big thank you to James, Nigel and all the staff at Sheffield bike center. Just purchased an MT09.
YAY! Congrats! What and when are you taking delivery? :)

The staff couldn't have been any more helpful. Very friendly, knowledgable and professional. Made the transaction very smooth and straight forward. A1. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !!
Yearp... they are some very good guys - their service is just brilliant.

(Also thanks to Jan for the coffee and butty!)
YOU GOT THAT!?!?
Lucky b.....d lol

(Cheers Morten for pushing me in the right direction)
Any time! :D

rob5006

Reaction score
Blazin' orange is in on oct 22nd. Hopefully will have it delivered shortly after and blast around Rochdale until winter.

Stripy

Reaction score
Oh wonderful :)

Hopefully i will have got my 1st service done by then, if not that following weekend instead, and we should be able to meet up somewhere out and about :)
We need to show'em off, ya know :p