cam chain rattle

Fish1216

Reaction score
Sounds like someone you shouldn't be using. Mind you, you also have to have your first service in the dealership you bought the bike from and if they're this dodgy before even selling it I personally wouldn't want to take it to them for a service either.
Exactly what he said, the dealer I used I trust as I used to work in the workshop with them a few years ago and since replacing the part the noise has gone, they did the same with there demo bike and the fault was logged with yamaha and they got the replacement part direct from yamaha, so sounds like the dealer ur using is telling porkies.....

Spot

Reaction score
It's CMC Cannock.
Unfortunately they already have my money and they're the only people I know of doing the fancy retro Kenny Roberts paintjob so i'm stuck with them until the first service.
Thanks to SMB's previous posts i was able to convince them they needed to do the Datatagging for free so no worries there.

Stripy

Reaction score
Oh, do I understand correctly, that you haven't taken delivery of the bike yet?

wayne01

Reaction score
Hi all quick update on cam chain adjuster the part has been superseded to 1rc-12210-01 not seen one yet so don't know what the difference is. All the mt09's we sold have been fine

Fish1216

Reaction score
Ur not that far from me then mate,; im in dudley, had mine from streetbike in Halesowen, only main dealer ide trust, gonna have one unique bike tho with that paint mate, be nice to meet up when u have it. Looking at the new part compared to the old the spring looked thicker/beefier but I didnt see them side by side, just the new part before fitting and the one they took out, eitherway yamaha have rectified the fault quick and its done the job.

Spot

Reaction score
Oh, do I understand correctly, that you haven't taken delivery of the bike yet?
Correct!
I'm waiting for the Akra' and other accessories to be fitted (Akra' not arrived yet, but due to be delivered next week) so the expectation is that I should be able to take delivery the week after next.
To be honest, although i'm excited like a little kid at Christmas i'm in no big rush to collect because of the shitty weather and (ahem) my garage looks like a junk yard and you'd be hard pushed to get a bike in there at the moment.
This time last year you could get 2 cars in the garage. Amazing how things can change in a year!

Spot

Reaction score
Ur not that far from me then mate,; im in dudley, had mine from streetbike in Halesowen, only main dealer ide trust, gonna have one unique bike tho with that paint mate, be nice to meet up when u have it. Looking at the new part compared to the old the spring looked thicker/beefier but I didnt see them side by side, just the new part before fitting and the one they took out, eitherway yamaha have rectified the fault quick and its done the job.
I know Streetbike, didn't realise they sold Yams. Dunno why but I always though they were a Suzuki dealer (plus assorted used bikes). Meet up sounds like a plan!

Spot

Reaction score
Hi all quick update on cam chain adjuster the part has been superseded to 1rc-12210-01 not seen one yet so don't know what the difference is. All the mt09's we sold have been fine
Check out this link....I got a tick ? - Page 16

It looks like 1RC-12210-01-00 was the original camchain tensioner, it was then revised and got the number 1RC-12210-02-00, seems like this was rubbish too so 1RC-12210-03-00 is the latest incarnation and owners are reporting this time it seems to have sorted the problem.

So until until someone tells us different it sounds like 1RC-12210-03-00 is what we should be replacing our camchain tensioners with under warranty..

Last edited:

Spot

Reaction score
In case anyone is vaguely interested, I passed this info about the part to CMC and their response was as follows....

"I have had Service/Parts Dept look into this for you & whilst there may have been a small number of bikes that needed a replacement cam chain tensioner your bike is not listed on the Yamaha system as requiring the new part. This may be because it already has the updated part.
Yamaha build their bikes in batches & if an issue is reported they are very proactive about rectifying it. If your bike does not fall within a certain batch there is no problem with yours"

To be fair they were very quick to respond to my email (about 1 hour!). So i'm happy with the response. However, if my camchain starts rattling........... :D

wayne01

Reaction score
The part number supplied by myself is the correct Yamaha cam chain replacement (1RC-12210-01) checked on Yamaha parts site

Stripy

Reaction score
So, what's the -03-version about then?
Can see it floats around various part sites already.

wayne01

Reaction score
No idea mate checked on parts fiche cam chain adjuster and showed old part number but once clicked on it came up with this superseded number. Will run the other number tomorrow might be warranty kit ?

tox

Reaction score
Ok. I'm still waiting on a backorder tensioner. So I fixed the problem myself. You need an inch long bolt same pitch as the middle cam one you take out and a couple of nuts to lock it home. If your overly worried about warranty stop now. So I had taken out the middle bolt, applied an allen key to tighten the adjusting screw (hand tight only). Then back the screw out 1/4 turn. The new bolt then goes where the old short bolt was and is locked down. Hand tight. The problem with the original bolt is the screw starts to back itself out after a while.20140201_181207.jpg

Had my tensioner replaced. Wa@ker of a mechanic would not tell me the part number, other than tell me the part looked the same as original. See how it goes

Last edited: