gear box noise ?

bill

Reaction score
Last Sunday after last Fridays MT 09 introduction I cruised by the local Yamaha shop and found them open. Cool I went in and 15 minuets later I was away on my test ride. First impressions were I love this frigging thing, it was a bit wet so my test was tame. Needless to say I returned and found myself trading in my 2008 Multistrada 1100 s on the spot. Jan. sees my delivery, don't know what I will do with it then as I"m sure my friend snow will be ruling. But the one thing that surprised me was the gear box scream in 3rd and 4th about 5000 rpm. This didn't stop me buying but I wonder if the test bike was ok or not ? I was the first test rider, even the shop owners had no comment as they had not had the chance between the rain to try the bike.I ordered orange.
Bill

stevecbr

Reaction score
not sure what you mean by gearbox scream, but mine is fine, and the test bike I rode was fine.
The bike roars at higher revs, I think it sounds like a subaru imprezza, but its not gearbox noise, more a combination of induction and exhaust

rob5006

Reaction score
The gearbox scream will be the exhaust 'breathing' and a sign that your engine is working for you. It's a good sign !
If your exhaust is screaming in 3rd at 5k revs then your speed must have been about 70mph. I would be worried if my exhaust wasn't 'screaming'-i love the sound ! That's your bikes way of saying ' come on boss, let's give it some!'
If you then change down to 4th gear, the 'scream' will go as your revs drop.
The sound of my exhaust lets me know how my revs are and what gear i'm in without looking at my clocks.-All is fine. Enjoy riding a fine piece of engineering!

Last edited:

Stripy

Reaction score
Enjoy riding a fine piece of engineering!
Just my words! ;)

Bill, congrats with the deal and welcome!
I swapped my MTS1200 for this wonder, and never looked back ;)
If the scream is like some one is playing with scaring their sister - something is wrong.
If the scream like a man roars when he has got a goal in - then it's party time ;)