MT-09 & Abba Stand

Hudson

Reaction score
Had a quick test ride of the MT-09 today and although i went to the dealer to buy a used Honda CB1000R i also test rode the MT.

I noticed (unlike all my previous bikes) there appears to be no point on the frame where an Abba stand could attach ??? Any owners care to tell me what stands can be used on the bike..... i do hate the paddock stands so if this is it then my choice may already have been made.

Cheers.

Stripy

Reaction score
Hi Hudson,

Welcome to the forum - nice to see locals :)
Where did you have your test ride?

I have not had the opportunity to deal with an Abba stand (being of Scandinavian breed, i only know Abba as something Swedish and noisy ;) ) however, i've had a look on their webpage, to see how it works, and by the looks of it, i'd say there will be an option for the MT-09 to use an Abba stand - I think it is just a question of when/if they announce it officially.

Best i can recommend is, to write to Abba them self, and ask if they are planning to do something about the availability for our beautiful bike? ;)

Personally i'm using a conventional rear swingarm paddock stand though.

Hudson

Reaction score
I am not far from the Trafford Centre and test rode the bike at Raceways in Fleetwood..... they had the used CB there.

Nice bike the MT, I did prefer the riding position of the CB as your more ' locked in ' to the tank than on the MT, but for the price it was an interesting proposition. I will give it some thought and decide after Xmas.

Stripy

Reaction score
Nice one :)
Coming from the Ducati Multistrada 1200, the tank size to "lock into" with your knees, was a thought of mine.
I had the Suzuki GSR750, FZ8 and CB1k in my mind, when the Ducati was to be replaced.
The value for money and low weight/power ratio was the clear winner for me - Yamaha it was.

Anyway, with regards to the tank... If you sit back a few cm on the seat, this feeling of less "tank-grip" increase, but the comfort does, too.
On the other hand, if you move forward a few cm, prepare for fun! It wants to flick from side to side, and - skills in question, maybe give at little slide with the tail ;)

Also worth giving a visit to SMC in Sheffield, specially if you have a p/x - they just give outstanding service ;)

Looking forward to hear about your decision ;)

stevecbr

Reaction score
It doesnt fit my Abba stand, and I cant see it being made to fit as the frame mounting points are all wrong. I have installed cotton reel bobbins on mine and have bought a traditional stand with bobbin supports (much better than the swinging types which are a pain). I bought this one, very sturdy, but not as easy to operate as the abba stand if you are by yourself REAR paddock STAND Lift Motorcycle paddock Bike TRACK for Bobbins Workshop | eBay

Hudson

Reaction score
When i test rode it i thought this to be the case, to be honest i had gone to the dealer to test ride the Honda CB1000R but got caught up with the MT-09 because it was there.... although on its own its not a decision maker, couple this with a few other things i prefer the CB too and this is the straw.... you get the idea.

I wish you all happy times with the MT but for now this is not the bike for me. Adios.