Yamaha FZ-09: What Do You Like/Dislike About It?

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What do you like/dislike about the Yamaha FZ-09 and why?

marthy

Reaction score
I like about everything about this bike. Ergo is bang on for me. Wind blast is not as bad as I tough... breezy but clean air. The heart of this bike is its engine. Smooth and torquy with usable power.

The seat has a bit too much slope and the seat cover is very grippy. So it feels like that constant shear on your bump (want to slide down but doesn't) want to shear the skin off your bump. But the seat itself is comfy to me.

Only very bad thing I can say about this bike... not a 2up riding bike! Pegs are way up hight and the passenger seat is about 1/2" thick... thats including the plastic. If your girl has a Milley Cirrus bump she will be ok, but if her bump is more like J.Lo... the tail light is in the way... lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Stripy

Reaction score
Nothing to dislike.
A lot to like, from engine, sound, handling, look, quality. Okay, I'll just say everything, that's easier :)

KatanaAl

Reaction score
Only had a test ride for 80ish miles and for me the only thing I didn't like was the seat, comfortable when sitting towards the rear but a little bit narrow and hard at the front. There is a comfort seat available at a very reasonable (not) £200. Am I being a little bit old fashioned in thinking that the seat should be comfortable from the factory.
Yet another money spinner.

stevecbr

Reaction score
Throttle is horribly snatchy, whatever mode you are in. B mode makes it better, but still not great.
Engine though is absolutely excellent, the heart of the bike, best thing about it.
On hard accelarating, it sounds like a Subaru Imprezza
Most fun bike I have ever ridden. After 25 years of riding, this is the only bike I have bought after an hour and a half test ride, it really is that good

Stripy

Reaction score
Steve, keep it at least in Std, get out on the open roads and get used to it.
I've done 410 miles in 8 days now, and I'm totally happy with it.
Once breaking in is done and a nice and warm Sunday invite for a good time on winding roads, shift up to A :)

The snatchiness is nothing compared to Aprilia's ;)

stevecbr

Reaction score
Yes, I imagine I will get used to it. I test rode the FZ1 and FZ8 before the MT09, and found them both to be snatchy. There was an article in MCN recently that said the snatchiness was due to having to pass Euro 3 emissions, and the technology that all manufacturers now have to use to get their bikes 'clean'.
I'm not sure if they will ever update the fuel mapping and upload at service time, or would a power commander sort it?

Seca Yamaha

Reaction score
I think this snatchiness comes from a fuel cutout sensor when cutting the throttle. I have one (very primitive) stock sensor on my K100. When going to 0 throttle, it immediately cuts fuel and you get a jolt from the engine just before the idle cuts in. Some people have successfully removed this sensor, getting a smoother deceleration.
A mapping to allow for a smoother fuel delivery mapping from 0 throttle to idle would most likely remove this problem on the MT.

Keep her lit

Reaction score
The only thing that bugs me about the bike is the vibration in the right footpeg,why is it only the right, my hunch is it caused by the standard exhaust but wont know until it is changed for the akra or maybe i will see if i can fit footrests with rubber on the top of them.Does it annoy anyone else i would be interested to know,apart from this the MT09 is a lot of fun for the money.

Stripy

Reaction score
The only thing that bugs me about the bike is the vibration in the right footpeg,why is it only the right, my hunch is it caused by the standard exhaust but wont know until it is changed for the akra or maybe i will see if i can fit footrests with rubber on the top of them.Does it annoy anyone else i would be interested to know,apart from this the MT09 is a lot of fun for the money.
Not felt any bad vibes at all from this wonder toy.
Is it at a certain rev range or generally all over?
Can you hear it when standing next to it?
Put a finger on the peg while standing, then try to rev up. Could be a things needs tightening up?

Keep her lit

Reaction score
Well SuperMotoBoy you might have hit the nail on the head when you said things might need tightening,the left hand side silencer bolt i could not tighten at all but the right hand one was only a bit more than hand tight so have tightened it up as per left side,hopefully that is it but due to the crappy weather, moto-gp,wsb,bsb on the telly i have not been out to test it yet but hope to later in the week.Just out of curiosity would you check the bolts on your mt and post weather yours are tightened up the same on both sides or like mine tight on one side only.

Stripy

Reaction score
Was down on all 4 when I got home.
From what I could see and feel, mine is tight and fixed and should be

Stripy

Reaction score
Oh, that is great news.

I learned the trick from mine old Z750, i had some years ago.
At certain revs, i had a rattling noise. The old guy in the shop used a rubberband to secure the throttle, and then we just started walking around the bike to find out where it came from.
It was the clutch lever rattling - who would have believed that! lol