Fuel consumption and tank capacity

SlanGlad

Reaction score
For those of you who already tested the MT-09 on everyday use and long trips, what do you think about the fuel consumption of this bike and its tank capacity?
When I go for a ride, I usually do at least 250 Km (~150 miles).

I'm interested to know:

1. - The kind of roads you usually ride on.
  2. - Your riding style (sport, touring, commuter...).
  3. - The average distance you reach between two stops at the gas station.

Looking forward to read from you.

marthy

Reaction score
If you ride at 70 MPH you can get 48 MPG easy... that would get you close to 150 miles on hwy. Im on my 3rd tank and I get 41 MPG combine...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Stripy

Reaction score
Hi SlanGlad,

I wouldn't worry too much, unless you have a very tight right hand :p
I have only filled up twice so far, first fill was unknown as it was just after picking up (and only 2 bars showing), but did 43 miles, filled up with 12.2liters.
I have since created a profile on fuelly.com - feel free to hook up there as well :))
I know the figure doesn't look great, but it should get significant better the more breaking in is done.
Last night on the motorway, I saw avegering between 52mpg to 65mpg keeping a steady pace around 80mph (130 km/h)

The range will most likely be in the neighbourhood of 120-150 miles.

The road I go for is a good mix.
For work, I have 5.5 miles in through Manchester city, then 7 miles on motorway and 2 miles on silent/slow roads.

When out for fun, it is another mix of roads, but generally the A-roads/main roads and probably a 1/3 on smaller roads.
A little video as an example (though on my Multi, just a month ago)

SlanGlad

Reaction score
OK. That's more or less what I expected. Thank you for the feedback, guys.
Nice roads, SuperMotoBoy! It reminds me the Connemara, in Ireland. I miss that place. :)

Slappyhead

Reaction score
It's early days. Just 130 miles on the flick, but averaging 56mpg. Taking it very easy, not gone above 5000rpm yet. Mix of motorway and town riding.

marthy

Reaction score
It's early days. Just 130 miles on the flick, but averaging 56mpg. Taking it very easy, not gone above 5000rpm yet. Mix of motorway and town riding.
Not over 5K yet? Drive that thing like you stole it and change oil! LOL

300 miles here and she's almost ready. The bike as an amazing bottom end torque but really like to rev.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Stripy

Reaction score
Oh yeah, everything with sense, I do get over 5k revs, but not wrecking it in anyway.
I'm on 260 miles and hope I can get clocked the remaining for Saturday, as I'm planning to book it in for its first service there.

Stripy

Reaction score
Had a scoot around after work to go to a local J&S gear shop, and on the way home I was poodling along, 60mph in 5th gear, just low enough not to be labouring and still get power to get out of a situation.
Switched the dash to show consumption: 65mpg. Not bad.
Refuelling again tomorrow, so let's see how it has improved :)

SlanGlad

Reaction score
Not bad at all. That's the average consumption of my Honda NC700S. But it has only 47hp... I'll be so glad to swap it for my MT-09!
A few more days, just a few more days. :D

stevecbr

Reaction score
110 miles before fuel reserve comes on. clock shows 49.9 mpg. Did 140 ride tuesday, mix of country lanes & a roads. Keeping below 100mph, reving it up to about 7500. Now done 200 miles

Spot

Reaction score
Not over 5K yet? Drive that thing like you stole it and change oil! LOL
Funny you should say that... Years ago I read an article (sorry no link it WAS years ago) about running in engines and it claimed that the first 50 miles are the most important and if you take it really easy the bores can get "glazed" and you'll never get the most out of your engine. Their recommendation was to give the engine a bit of a thrash for the first 50 miles and then take it easy.
I've just done a bit of a google and there's nothing obvious anymore saying "thrash it" to substantiate this, but plenty of articles telling you to take it easy for the first few miles.
All I know is that I always rev the nuts off any new bike I get for the first 50 miles and when i've had them dyno'd (prior to any go-faster work) i've always been told it's the most powerful stock engine for that particular bike they've ever seen. Co-incidence ?
My new MT-09 will be no different and i'll go for a good 50 mile thrash before settling back to the running in process. :)

Seca Yamaha

Reaction score
I found this site when looking for a break-in procedure after putting a new head gasket in on my K. Will try it out when I get the MT

Keep her lit

Reaction score
How far can you go with the fuel light on,it is always handy to know how far you can push it today i pushed it to 21.2 miles before i chickened out and pulled in to fill up, the not so empty mt took 12.32 litres which meant i had just over 1.5 litres left going by the owners manual and all the riding was in std mode.

SlanGlad

Reaction score
How far can you go with the fuel light on,it is always handy to know how far you can push it today i pushed it to 21.2 miles before i chickened out and pulled in to fill up, the not so empty mt took 12.32 litres which meant i had just over 1.5 litres left going by the owners manual and all the riding was in std mode.
Hi!
According to the owners manual, the fuel indicator will light up when there's 2.8L (0.74 US gal) remaining in the tank. Considering a fuel consumption of about 5L/100 Km (47 MPG), you should theoretically be able to do more or less 56 Km (35 miles) with the fuel light on. Personally, I would say that you can safely ride 50 Km (30 miles).

Stripy

Reaction score
Okay SlanGlad, you are now officially our guinieapig, to just ride until you run dry and let us know how far you can go ;)))

Narh let go then, but yeah 25 miles should be doable, but it obviously depends on how you ride the thing, and it is likely to have slight variation from bike to bike.

SlanGlad

Reaction score
Okay SlanGlad, you are now officially our guinieapig, to just ride until you run dry and let us know how far you can go ;)))

Narh let go then, but yeah 25 miles should be doable, but it obviously depends on how you ride the thing, and it is likely to have slight variation from bike to bike.
Yeah... keep dreaming! :D

marcusfordus

Reaction score
When I receive my ordered bike :rolleyes: I'll see if I can beat my afternoon's demo ride of 68.1mpg (UK gallons). If it doesn't, I'll be asking for a larger fuel tank to be added to the next Yamaha accessory brochure !