Wheelies.....

mt09holland

Reaction score
Hi all, how to do a wheelie on a MT-09.......is a bit of a stupid question, but how do you guys do a "controlled" wheelie? I've got mine now for about 2 months and I am used to the bike now (it is my first bike) and only drive it in A-mode after the first 1000 miles. I do a lot of small wheelies but they are not really intended or controlled, just pulling away very fast and the wheel comes off. How to do a proper wheelie without using the clutch? If someone can explain this to me that would be great! Maybe I am just too much of a whimp but I would love to do a long wheelie! Help!

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Simple. Grip it, rip it and hold on lol.

Seriously tho. I wud get a bit more experience and confidence before u start trying to do long power wheelies. This bike really will spit u off the back if ur not on top of ur game.

MT-09. Wheelie Wheelie Mental

mt09holland

Reaction score
Yeah fair point! I'll stick to the girlie wheelies for now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birdy

Reaction score
Sage advice TT....you wont impress the girls lying on your back with a bleeding arse mt h ! lol .....fly might like it tho ...;)

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
First you have to learn how to use rear brake pedal to control the bikes highness keeping as stedy as you could your wright wrist on gas which is very snachy.
Try on 1st gear with low rpm to "fall" the bike down with rear brake instead of close the gas.. that is a good exercise...
Then, when you feel confident it will be easier to do longer wheelies.

mt09holland

Reaction score
Ha!!!! Yeah that won't go down well with the local lasses here. Looks awesome though, a good power wheelie...

mt09holland

Reaction score
Cheers motorcycleboy, sounds like a good first step. Will give it a shot this weekend!

flydnb

Reaction score
Id love it birdy , ive managed wheelies through the gears on my mt but it can be hairy and cover the rear brake , the long floater is the mts forte.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lol. Fly wud definitely like that. Back on topic tho..
If u really want to pop some decent wheelies try putting it in 2nd gear, get to around 30mph, give the throttle a good fist full and cover the back break with ur foot that way u can kill any potential flipping that may occur lol. Once uv gained a bit of confidence doing that u can try it in 1st. Very carefully to begin with though....!
And when uv mastered it u can start in 1st, pop it up and go through the gears till u run out of road ;)

flydnb

Reaction score
Oh and mtholland you dont need to touch the clutch , if you want to do a slow wheelie find some grippy tarmac and stick it in b mode yes b mode and get it in to second and go along till its in the torque window and give it a blat and up it will come dont pull on the bars just let it power up then once up modulate the throttle as needed on the balance point.

flydnb

Reaction score
Oh and of u feel your to high just a very light dab on the rear brake brings the front down .

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh and mtholland you dont need to touch the clutch , if you want to do a slow wheelie find some grippy tarmac and stick it in b mode yes b mode and get it in to second and go along till its in the torque window and give it a blat and up it will come dont pull on the bars just let it power up then once up modulate the throttle as needed on the balance point.

Yes they're the best ones. I love rolling the throttle on and off to keep it in just the right place...

flydnb

Reaction score
Yeah but be safe mate , if in doubt dont.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
One last piece of advice...

Until ur good enuf to steer on the back wheel try and do it in as straight a line as u can...

mt09holland

Reaction score
I'm in Holland mate, all roads are straight.....and flat!!!

mt09holland

Reaction score
Wheelied around a bit this morning......need to practice that rear breaking a bit more, but good first step!!!