What fuel type for your MT-09?

SlanGlad

Reaction score
Hi there!

The MT-09 owners manual states that you should use petrol with an octane rating of at least 95 (10% ethanol is also acceptable). However, it is commonly said that super or premium fuels with a higher octane number will deliver less pollution, increase performance or maintain a cleaner engine.

What do you think of this?
What fuel type is available in your country and which one do you put in your motorcycle and why?

I personally put 95-octane gas because it's much cheaper than 98-octane and only my bank account will see the difference!

Stripy

Reaction score
I think you're sort of right.
If need be, we need to go to Germany or somewhere in France, where you can get 102-octane from a public petrol station.
What ever V-power Shell and other brands markets, I don't see the benefit nor the extra mileage nor the increased performance.

However, I have seen a difference in Esso's diesel (not for the bike, but the car) - the great benefit was - it didn't cost extra.

With regards to the Ethanol addition, I hope not there will be more coming in - vehicle manufactures are really struggling with getting the components inside the engine to last with anything higher than the 10%.

One thing left - 95 octane to go in.

SlanGlad

Reaction score
Do you think it serves anything to go for high octane fuels from time to time? Or it's just a waste of money?

Stripy

Reaction score
If the higher octane fuel is free from ethanol, I can understand there can be a benefit, but you must do your mileage test again and run it dry, before you fill up with the expensive juices - but I have no technical evidence that can support, but I ca imagine it can be good - but I think to be honest, you'll have to maybe use the high octane exclusively for a month, and the benift compared with the economic loss might still only be very little or maybe not even enough to at least outline it.