Tricks n wheelies

rob5006

Reaction score
I've got the bike so might as well learn some tricks.
Any body know how to do a good wheelie on the mt09?
It's too cold to do some decent lengthy journeys so might as well have a play !

dapsmt09

Reaction score
Well I have had loads of bikes over the years but the MT09 is by far the easiest bike to wheelie that I have ever owned. I find second a bit less aggressive than first and you don't even need to clutch it up, just a mild tug on the bars and she pops up nicely.
Please note I am by any means a wheelie expert but the MT might just change that.
Cheers daps.

rob5006

Reaction score
Never done a wheelie but this bike just brings out the hooligan in me. Might as well have a play!
How many revs and what mode were you in, daps?

dapsmt09

Reaction score
I tend to just leave it in standard mode at the moment. Have stuck it in B mode but thats when I take the kids out on the back.
If your not into wheelies I would say just take your time, go somewhere nice and quiet and have a play.
The MT is a doddle to wheelie but be very very careful as with the throttle being very sensitive it can come up a lot quicker than first intended.
This just happened to me on my way to work and it was not very funny!!!!
Take your time experiment with revs and clutch but be safe, best advice I can give ya Rob.
Cheers daps.

rob5006

Reaction score
Thanks Daps. Had about 6 bikes but this is the only one which leaves me grinning like a mad professor !

misscrabstick

Reaction score
In my limited experience on the MT so far (due to operation recovery in an area that precludes sitting on motorcycle seats for too long) I would say that a) it wheelies very easy even for a wimp head like me, and b) wheel spin is very easy too if you give it too much on greasey roads. Anyone with a modicum of stunting skill will love this bike to bits.

flydnb

Reaction score
I am an expert at wheelies and it is an easy bike to wheelie, when I took it for a test ride I had it up on wheel from second through to third, best mode is standard for wheelies as the throttle is smoother, if your not used to doing wheelies I would say that get used to covering the rear brake pedal in case you go up to far then just a very light bit of pressure will bring the front down gently , don't stamp on it as that can be a disaster, also get used to clutching up at a slower speed rather than just outright power wheelies , this way you can learn to find the balance point and modulate your throttle to keep the bike on the balance point.
I have always found that when you find the balance point on a particular bike it becomes a lot easier.

KatanaAl

Reaction score
I went to Jimmy Fireblade's Wheely school in deepest Lincolnshire. He's a great bloke and we all had a great day with him. He teaches a technique where you bring the revs down in first gear using the back brake, you then increase the revs as you release the back brake whilst pinging the clutch at the same time. It all seems a lot to do at once but it does work as you can see by the photo. It was so easy to wheelie his bandit 600's.

Martyn6241

Reaction score
I wheelied the demo bike in A mode with the clutch and nearly looped it! Doh. When mine finally arrives I will use standard mode and try wheelying off the throttle in first gear then as the front rises quickly snick second then with a bit of practice find the balance point.used to do stood up wheelies on my gsxr750 k6 which is a bit scary. The balance point on my bmw 1200 gs is nearly vertical and I can't see a thing as looking at clocks so I clutch it in first then snick second then third and forth and put it down nice and gently.