Oil light coming on after a service?

mudrock

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just had my MT09 yearly service today, so a full check over, oil change etc,

But after leaving the dealers, travelling along the M40, the Red oil light came????, so I turned around and went back to the dealers, but just as I arrived the light went out? anyway, they check it over, oil level correct, no red light, so on my home, but again red light came on, but when I got into Oxford the light went out.

:confused:

Any thoughts??

Cheers

flipper

Reaction score
it's a level switch, so check the level carefully. Or take it back again.

Were you upright or leaned over when the light came on? This affects the level in the sump.

Could be corroded or loose connector maybe?

mudrock

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply,

yep I was upright, and the light stayed on for a few miles along the M40,
so I guess its corroded or loose connector, back to the dealers

Thanks again

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry it wasn't at Newbury, another Yamaha dealer just off the M40, don't wish to name then, as they are ok for me.
Wasn't after a name and shame. Just curious as other members might have had a similar problem

mudrock

Reaction score
I will let you know what they find ,,

but I will be using the MT07 for a while, MT09 in the shed until the weather improves.

adam

Reaction score
I will let you know what they find ,,

but I will be using the MT07 for a while, MT09 in the shed until the weather improves.
Had the same after my service, went for a blast on the cat and fiddle and on came the light mid corner. Simple fix was...more oil. No leaks or poor connections etc it transpired the dealer was a little frugal with the oil and since the top up it has been perfect.

flydnb

Reaction score
Had the same after my service, went for a blast on the cat and fiddle and on came the light mid corner. Simple fix was...more oil. No leaks or poor connections etc it transpired the dealer was a little frugal with the oil and since the top up it has been perfect.
naughty dealer , that would really piss me off.

stevecbr

Reaction score
Had it on my FZ6 when I changed the oil myself. I filled it to the correct level, but obviously after running for a bit there must have been air lock or something, as light came on and oil level was at low level. Just needed to be topped up

Soapy

Reaction score
Many moons ago I had an FZR 1000 EXUP and decided to do a service not long after I bought it. Took it for a post service run and had only been riding it for about half an hour when I noticed the oil light was on dimly. I pulled over, turned off the engine and checked the oil level, it was spot on the line. I carried on and after a short while the bloody thing came on again. So I pulled in the clutch and revved the engine expecting the light to go out but it just got brighter. Confused the s**t out of me so I rode it gently home and noticed the light didn't come back on.
Google was my friend. Found an FZR Forum and discovered my bike had an oil level switch not a pressure switch. This means at higher revs there is not enough oil returning to the sump to keep the level switch happy. They recommended setting the oil level about 2mm above the line and I never had the problem again.

RipGroove

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just had my MT09 yearly service today, so a full check over, oil change etc,

But after leaving the dealers, travelling along the M40, the Red oil light came????, so I turned around and went back to the dealers, but just as I arrived the light went out? anyway, they check it over, oil level correct, no red light, so on my home, but again red light came on, but when I got into Oxford the light went out.

:confused:

Any thoughts??

Cheers

My oil light came on in the way home from its very first break in service, only did it once and hasn't done it since. I thought it was a bit odd so called the dealer when I got home and they just told me to buy more oil! Bought 1 litre of Yamalube but haven't actually had to open yet as it never came on again.

Sent from my iPhone

mudrock

Reaction score
Thanks for all your input,
hopefully I should report back by next week, having new tyres fitted on Monday, looking forward to getting rid of the OEM hoops.

mudrock

Reaction score
Just a quick update,

Got new Tyres on Monday , a pair of Z8,

Oil light still coming on, but only when I am going above motorway speed, and it does go off, when I drop to around 30mph,

So I dropped the bike off at the dealer on Friday,,
Now just waiting for a new oil sensor .
Hopefully it will be ready for this week,

Will report back later.

mudrock

Reaction score
Hi all,

Right, the dealers has sorted my MT09, they replace the oil sensor and put in new oil, all on warranty.

The main thing is, I am so so glad I've got my bike back, I really miss it, having been out on a Tracer and using a loan bike, a T Max 530, the MT09 feels so right, can't fault it, I love it.

All the best

mudrock

Reaction score
nice one mate, what was the t max like ? always wanted a go on one .
A bit of a giggle at first, pulling up to the traffic lights, knowing that other bikers thinking, scooter boy!, I have him, well, just pin the throttle, and away you go, leaving them behind, for a 530cc it's ok.
The down side, I did get cold inside legs and a cold back, but, I did enjoy riding it on the motorway and on the twisty A roads.
Getting use brakes on the handle bar , was really hard, but sure, over time, I guess you get used to it,
The other problem was, filtering though traffic, with the mirrors out front, I couldn't judge the width very well. But again, I could get use to it,
All in all, a good bike.