Anyone Fitted Different Hand Guards To Their Tracer?

Scraggydog64

Reaction score
Hi

Has anyone fitted different hand guards to their Tracer, if so what do you have and are they any good? I am not fussed on the look of the originals however I have bad circulation in my hands and want something more effective at keeping the wind off. All of the alternatives I have seen only clamp onto the bar and do not use the bar end weight bolt which does not seem very good.

I have ordered genuine heated grips but they are talking June delivery. Its cold on a good day up here in the North East.

Cheers Michael

boro

Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking at some Barkbuster S7 Storm or the Carbon, they can be mounted at both ends or just at the bar end (which I like) also you need a specific mount kit.
The Storm are much bigger and cheaper but don't have the wow factor of the Carbon.
MT 09 (2013 on) - Barkbusters
Just trying to decide if I can live with the Storm but will always want the Carbon

Texx920

Reaction score
Did you get your new hand guards?

I'm thinking doing the same,,, any tips or pics?

Cheers ?

MJ09

Reaction score
UK, Midlands between coventry and Birmingham
I have taken mine off altogether and fitted new bar ends. Apart from a dramatic improvement in appearance, including the view from the saddle, I cannot yet detect any loss of protection. The standard guards do not seem to do much. I have genuine heated grips and at current temps, 10-11c, with heaters on setting 1 or 2 my hands are fine in thin gloves.
Grip heat 3 is far too hot at the moment!

V8legend

Reaction score
I have taken mine off altogether and fitted new bar ends. Apart from a dramatic improvement in appearance, including the view from the saddle, I cannot yet detect any loss of protection. The standard guards do not seem to do much. I have genuine heated grips and at current temps, 10-11c, with heaters on setting 1 or 2 my hands are fine in thin gloves.
Grip heat 3 is far too hot at the moment!
The 3 different heat settings are individually adjustable. The first time I tried them 1 was barely noticeable, and 2 was too hot. I've turned 1 up, 2 down, and 3 (if I ever ride in the winter!) also down.

John Reeves

Reaction score
I learned a lesson in 2003 on my TDM (with no hand guards).

Mid corner at about 60mph (officer) a wood pigeon decided it would take off and fly directly into the path of my front brake lever. I ride with two fingers over the brake lever, so Mr Pigeon hit my fingers (bruising them quite badly), whilst simultaneously apply my front brake, Feathers everywhere and he just sort of bounced over my head.

Fortunately the brake application was milliseconds, and didn't do anything than scare the shit out of me.

And for that reason only, I would always have handguards...even if I just left the mounting bar thing around the front.

Anyway, I've just bought some stainless steel bar end weights* YAMAHA STAINLESS BAR ENDS WEIGHTS TDM FZ XJ YZR FAZER *TAPPED FOR HAND GUARDS* | eBay and I'm about to take the OEM guards off and stick muffs on for the winter - I reckon Tucano R323's...but I'm just researching a bit more

*weights because these mostly after market aluminium "weights" aren't very... and there are some (minor) vibes though the bars, so I thought I would try some chunky heavy ones to see if it improves things... I'll write a report in due course...

deedaadel

Reaction score
The 3 different heat settings are individually adjustable. The first time I tried them 1 was barely noticeable, and 2 was too hot. I've turned 1 up, 2 down, and 3 (if I ever ride in the winter!) also down.
How is it possible to individually adjust the 3 different heat settings? Im fitting some Grip Puppies to 'absorb' some of the heat from settings 2 & 3, especially on the right hand.

V8legend

Reaction score
How is it possible to individually adjust the 3 different heat settings? Im fitting some Grip Puppies to 'absorb' some of the heat from settings 2 & 3, especially on the right hand.
I can't remember exactly, but it's in the menu. Must have been quite easy, I did it! There's a part in the menu where you can choose what info is on what screen on the dash. I changed the settings while moving things about. Have a look in your handbook, that's probably where I got the info from. If you don't find it, get back to me. I'll look it up.

EeeTea

Reaction score
I can't remember exactly, but it's in the menu. Must have been quite easy, I did it! There's a part in the menu where you can choose what info is on what screen on the dash. I changed the settings while moving things about. Have a look in your handbook, that's probably where I got the info from. If you don't find it, get back to me. I'll look it up.
ditto.

Actually, I'm going out to the shed to have a fiddle now, so I'll see if I can remember how I did it...