Tyre question... Pilot Power 3's

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
anyone else running these on their MT09 who rides at a brisk pace (like you stole it) ?
I'm having a hard time with them, feel very unstable cornering and not confidence inspiring at all :/
had them on my Street Triple R and they were the dogs danglies, gripped like buggery, but not so on the MT

stevecbr

Reaction score
Cant comment on the Michelin, but I did have the Bridgestone BT023 fitted, and they were diabolical! Massive speed wobble at 100mph. I contacted Bridgestone about it at the time and they said not recommended for the MT09, it seems like the MT is fickle with tyre choice. I went back to the S20's this week and its back to normal.
Apparently the PR4's and Pirelli angels work well according to members on here

MartinB

Reaction score
Toasted:
I have been with Michelin for a few years now and my personal view is this, PR2 were pretty good, which was the last of the half cut tyres, (before they put in lots of grooves etc)
The PR3's for what ever reason just did not seem to work, and behaved as you have described. So I tried the Bridgestone 023, did not like them either.
So went for Michelin again this time the PR4's really good and unbelievable in the wet, Had four sets now, Z1000SX and MT09, equally good.
Only slight issue when down around Malaga in the warmer climate they did over heat a bit. making them too hot and they moved around a bit not dangerous but too spongy.
Spoke to Michelin guy and he described them as Northern European Tyre? go figure.
Very Personnel view, Michelin PR4 great tyre for me.
Martin B

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
Martin, I've had the PR4's on it, they were great through the winter but when I was up Scotland couple months ago it was 24'C in blazing sunshine (freaky weather), the PR4's felt really soft and movement was excessive
that's why I changed to the PP3's for summer, but I'm not happy with them, maybe they're just not right for the MT :/

derek28862

Reaction score
don't know how to do link but if you google tyreleader .co.uk and prices are on there with free delivery martin

marksim

Reaction score
The Dunlop Sportsmarts 1 &2 are a cracking road tyre and ive done a few trackdays on different bikes with them
Dont confuse them with the Sportmax or Roadmax

stevecbr

Reaction score
Michelin are currently doing a £35 cashback offer. My local tyre dealer wanted £250 for ride in/ride out pr4's, then you'd get the £35 cashback from Michelin, so only £215 fully fitted

olivierzx

Reaction score
I have PP3 on my stock MT.
Like all the PP series they can be strange in some cases.

You must keep the tyres pressure high : 2.5 and 2.9, even in solo condition.
If you try to decrease to 2.3 / 2.6 you'll have suspension harmony problems.

At the end of the tyre life (last 30 %) the tyre temperature will vary quickly on the sides.
After a straight mile the first hard corner will give you cold sweats.

And last, you will have wobbling after 110 mph.

Like others I've been using this tyres on other bikes without problems. (street R, CBR)
I think that all the problems are coming from the poor suspensions.

Next tyres will be S20 evo, but I'll regret the agility of the PP3.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
I'm riding on PR4s for 8.000km and find them very safe on all riding conditions.
I use them in standard pressure 36/42..
Two months ago i realize that my rear had lost pressure, it was on 32 instead of 42 and i correct it.
Then i spent weeks to find the correct setting for my ZX rear shock and i thought that some "oversteering feeling" was caused from suspension.
Allthough i was pushing the bike to turn more and more and more... pressing the tyres to their limits.
When i've found the best setting i check the tyres pressure... after 3 whole weeks of no check.
The front was at 30 instead of 36 (ok..) but the rear was at 14 instead of 42.
I imediatelly went to my tyres dealer who found a big hole but not any object in.
He took-off the wheel and putted a "mushroom" to close the hole.
Since that my bike is Fantastic again !!!
The "problem" wash't from suspension but from the flat rear tyre.
But even in that condition the PR4 is so much safe that i didh't had any other symptom than the "oversteer" feeling when was at high-speeding turning..
After that, i must admit never in my life had felt so safe on a flat tyre...
+1 for PR4s !
I like the "agressive" crown of the new S20evo but i will buy again the more conservative PR4s for sure !:cool:

derek28862

Reaction score
Just ordered the PR4 tonight front and rear and cost £186 from tyre leader and £20 to put them on rims and balance