Torque talk....

RMWL

Reaction score
Whilst adjusting my chain slack recently, as usual I used my trusty torque wrench (well, one of my trust torque wrenches) to nip up the axle nut to the specified 150Nm.

As for the locknut, that got spannered to the "that's tight enough" setting.

I notice the manual states a torque of 16Nm, but in all my years of riding I have never really considered before on any bike how to actually torque the locknuts up if you were doing a by-the-book 'proper job'.

There must be a way, probably a simple way I'm not thinking of, otherwise the manufacturers wouldn't specify a torque value but you obviously can't get a socket on the nut. I've got some crowsfoot spanners that fit on the end of a ratchet but even they don't give enough clearance to make it easy.

I can think of a bodge involving a spanner and a bolt, but that involves some maths too so no mechanic in any workshop I've used would go down that route!

Thoughts ??

chump

Reaction score
a meter long spanner with a 16 Newton mass hung on it.

chump

Reaction score
That's one way I guess! :)

I fully agree and this is theoretical only (unless there is a really easy solution - which appears not).
Damn right. I can't see it matters really.

RMWL

Reaction score
It doesn't matter at all!

This is just to satisfy my curiosity, i.e. how should it be done - or how could it be done if there is no proper way of doing it.

If no definitive answer comes of this and I remember next time my bike is in for a service, I'll ask but wouldn't be at all surprised if not even the approved/trained mechanics actually do it 'by the book'..... or have an answer.

John Barlow

Reaction score
Funny that this subject came up today as I was talking to Simon at S-Tec yesterday who happened to mention that 150 Nm is far too tight and should be nearer 110 like the majority of say Gixers and large Yamahas. Although the manual states this he can see no reason why it should be so tight and he should know as he used to run a tyre shop oop North.

chump

Reaction score
He should know, but so should Yamaha.

XJR rear axle torque is listed as 150Nm also, for example, as is the R1.

Last edited: