It's Much, Much Better Than A Speed Triple

crotchrocket

Reaction score
Went for a ride today with a mate and his new (to him) 2011 Speed Triple. We swapped bikes for a bit, and WOW. What a difference, it was like jumping on your Dad's bike or something. Its kinda fat, lardy and really boring compared to the MT-09 and from riding around most of the day, it can't out perform the MT-09 either. We were actually not leaving each other at all. I must confess though, i'm a lot heavier than him, so with rider weights matched, perhaps the MT-09 would out drag the triple ?? The Triple also felt tall and heavy, with all the weight up high.

Perhaps I'm bias though ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Stripy

Reaction score
Compared to a Street Triple R, which I had brand new in 2012, the MT beats that with lengths, too - so not surprised about your findings ;)

Spot

Reaction score
Totally agree. I had a 2007 Speed Triple for a few years that I loved to bits but once I got on the MT-09 for a test ride, although it didn't feel quite as grunty as the trip, the light weight had me sold.
For me the whole package of the MT-09 just seemed to work so much better and the seating position is just sooooo much more comfortable for a forty something with a dodgy back :)

But here's a pic of the old girl coz I did love her to bits for a while...

Trip6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

crotchrocket

Reaction score
Nice triple!!

I was just editing a video of yesterdays antics, but have now thought better of it. 'IF' we had gone over the speed limit, it might not be a good idea to film it and put it on youtube? On the private test track we stopped in at yesterday......... I saw 137 on the clock, it was still pulling. Whats the top speed supposed to be?

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
MCN did a shoot out between the MT-09, Augusta brutally thingy bob, Z800 and the street triple. I saw it on utube and cudnt believe wot I was seeing. They recon it only does 131 or there abouts...! I can vouch that it does ALOT more than that...!

Mitch

Reaction score
MCN did a shoot out between the MT-09, Augusta brutally thingy bob, Z800 and the street triple. I saw it on utube and cudnt believe wot I was seeing. They recon it only does 131 or there abouts...! I can vouch that it does ALOT more than that...!
Mcn do seem to be a tad biased to the triumphs

Smurf

Reaction score
I find it an interesting comparison as I am a Triumph fan and if 6 months ago anyone said I would be buying a Yamaha I wouldn't have believed them.

Me and a mate of mine were both buying new bikes and tested the MT and a Street Triple and while I ordered the MT he has ordered the Triumph. We both pick them up next week and it will be interesting comparing the two in terms of ownership etc in the next year or so.

We both do roughly the same mileage a year so it should be a fair comparison, bit more long term than MCN's

stevecbr

Reaction score
I had both mine & the demo bike showing 138mph. I was slightly disappointed, as my old 2005 FZ6 did exactly the same (however, it took a lot longer getting there!)
As for the street triple & speed triple, I have ridden both, and found the speed triple to feel like a big barge, and the street triple the other extreme, small, light but for me didnt feel right

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's more the fact that they say that it's restricted to 130mph. I can guarantee that it goes A LOT faster than that....!

marthy

Reaction score
Restricted... no more! Still have got to double check it to confirm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Spot

Reaction score
I also spent some time dicking around with an MV Agusta 1078 (yes I have a thing for triples) and I wasn't impressed.
Another stonking motor but again for me it just didn't feel "right" where in comparison I was instantly at home on the MT and chucking it around like i'd been riding it years.
Nice looker though...

mv-agusta-brutale-1078-rr-test_9.jpg

crotchrocket

Reaction score
Who is the Admin here? they don't appear to come on too often? I don't know the history of the website, but presume they are also an MT-09 enthusiast ? There's not join up fee, so someone must be doing the maintenance as a hobby?

Spot

Reaction score

Smurf

Reaction score
Well shocked by the dealer, when I placed the order in December they said mid Feb so I said I will wait for new reg on 1s March. They said they will me know when it arrives.

As time is marching on the missus gave them a call and they are saying May.

Whish I had gone Triumph now. Still might stuff the deposit.

crotchrocket

Reaction score
What are you waiting for. An ABS model? i've been in two dealers with bikes in the showroom ready to go. Cant they get someone else's stock to you?

Smurf

Reaction score
I was led to believe that I ordered the first orange ABS for that dealership so they shouldn't have another. Its the shit communication that has pissed me off.

I am recovering from an illness that kept me off bikes for nearly two years and I will lose my NCB by May

marcusfordus

Reaction score
You dont need the abs. Traction control would have been much more useful. I went sideways on Friday just turning right on very low revs. Such is the torque on these beasts.

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2