Tracer non-standard screen adjustment for wind noise

Boab Dreeps

Reaction score
Hi there
I'm new to the forum. Just got my new Tracer on the 20th March.

Have any other owners had wind noise issues?

I ordered the tall screen as an option.
I found that it was causing a lot of wind noise even at low speed. If I ducked in behind, it was ok, but wasn't exactly comfortable.
I put the stock screen back on, but I also found that this was causing some turbulence above 60mph. Adjusting the screen height made little difference.

I think the screen mount needs an angle adjustment to reduce the turbulence.
So I got some longer bolts for the bottom 2 mount points and inserted some rubber washers between the screen and those mounts.
It's made a considerable improvement. Much less wind noise above 60mph. It seems to be channeling the air better.
Think it might also improve the tall screen, but yet to test.

groundhog

Reaction score
Hi there
I'm new to the forum. Just got my new Tracer on the 20th March.

Have any other owners had wind noise issues?

I ordered the tall screen as an option.
I found that it was causing a lot of wind noise even at low speed. If I ducked in behind, it was ok, but wasn't exactly comfortable.
I put the stock screen back on, but I also found that this was causing some turbulence above 60mph. Adjusting the screen height made little difference.

I think the screen mount needs an angle adjustment to reduce the turbulence.
So I got some longer bolts for the bottom 2 mount points and inserted some rubber washers between the screen and those mounts.
It's made a considerable improvement. Much less wind noise above 60mph. It seems to be channeling the air better.
Think it might also improve the tall screen, but yet to test.
I find the same thing. No buffeting but quite a bit of wind noise. I might try your idea when I get my bike back from being repaired. How far have you bought out the bottom mount with the washers ? Hope your enjoying your new bike :)

Boab Dreeps

Reaction score
I find the same thing. No buffeting but quite a bit of wind noise. I might try your idea when I get my bike back from being repaired. How far have you bought out the bottom mount with the washers ? Hope your enjoying your new bike :)
Hi

Ive brought it up around 3 or 4cm.
Thinking about taking it further. I suppose it's just trial and error based on your own height and helmet type.

I'm loving the bike!
Has it's run-in service today. Excited about getting to ride it without those run-in restrictions

Deadhead

Reaction score
I've been out on a Tracer today and the wind noise was horrendous at 60mph+ .It was so bad I was worried I might damage my hearing. I tucked behind the wind shield, but i had to tuck right down, I might as well been on a sport bike. I stopped the bike and the shield was at the max height, I lowered it as far as it could go and that did improve things a little.
I took out a standard MT-09 after with the tiny little shield and that was no where near as bad. When I told the dealer he looked at me in utter shock like what the hell is this guy on about..seems I'm not so crazy after all after reading this thread.

groundhog

Reaction score
Powerbronze are making a smaller than standard screen and also a higher and wider one which is the same shape as the standard one, both are on flea bay.

I think there is always a compromise with screens, wind noise/buffeting v less windblast on your body and visa versa. It also depends on your height and how good or not your helmet is for coping with noise. And as mentioned above - changing the angle of the screen might help. Trial and error to find what suits you I guess.

By the way there is a Tracer section on the forum now

Boab Dreeps

Reaction score
Just got back from a 300mile trip from Edinburgh down to the North East of England.
The screen adjustment seems to have worked really well.
Had a 'spirited' ride back today and the wind noise wasn't any worse than my 650 Bandit (with double bubble powerbronze screen). Which I'm really pleased about as the Tracer is totally awesome.

Waiting for me on my return was the small powerbronze screen mentioned by groundhog
I plan to test it out over the weekend.
Will provide an update

Boab Dreeps

Reaction score
I've been out on a Tracer today and the wind noise was horrendous at 60mph+ .It was so bad I was worried I might damage my hearing. I tucked behind the wind shield, but i had to tuck right down, I might as well been on a sport bike. I stopped the bike and the shield was at the max height, I lowered it as far as it could go and that did improve things a little.
I took out a standard MT-09 after with the tiny little shield and that was no where near as bad. When I told the dealer he looked at me in utter shock like what the hell is this guy on about..seems I'm not so crazy after all after reading this thread.
I got a similar response from my dealer when I had the bike in for it's small service.
Told him the tall screen was hopeless and that I'd modified the small screen.
They must have tested the screens with long-legged midgets

groundhog

Reaction score
Just got back from a 300mile trip from Edinburgh down to the North East of England.
The screen adjustment seems to have worked really well.
Had a 'spirited' ride back today and the wind noise wasn't any worse than my 650 Bandit (with double bubble powerbronze screen). Which I'm really pleased about as the Tracer is totally awesome.

Waiting for me on my return was the small powerbronze screen mentioned by groundhog
I plan to test it out over the weekend.
Will provide an update
I look forward to hearing what you think of the small screen

Deadhead

Reaction score
The screen either need to be taller or shorter, where it is now is rubbish and I would say I pretty average in height.

Marks

Reaction score
Certainly looks the part, interested to see how you get on with it, and yeah weather is crap down in the northeast as well.
Mark

Boab Dreeps

Reaction score
Certainly looks the part, interested to see how you get on with it, and yeah weather is crap down in the northeast as well.
Mark
http://mt09.motorcycle-talk.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2945&d=1427536162

I've got zero patience, so I caught a break in the rain to have a quick test run.
I was using my Shark Raw helmet as I thought that would show up more wind issues compared to my Schuberth C3 Pro.
Also, we've got 20-30mph wind gusts today.

First part of the run was along an A-road with trees on either side, so this might have cut the windy conditions down a bit. Would have been a bit of a tail wind.
Low speeds (30-40mph) were absolutely fine. No wind or turbulence.
I noticed on a recent run with the stock screen, that the wind noise would make you think you were doing a pretty high speed, then you look down and you're only doing 65mph.
On my test, I was looking down and thinking "am I really going that fast!".
Helmet was just going through clean air, so only noise was what you would expect with the type of helmet.

I also play music through earbuds to cancel out wind noise.
With the stock screen, the music would be drowned out at around 70mph.
I got a fair bit over 70mph and I could still sing along to my favourite songs.

The run back was in to a bit of a side wind.
I was still able to get the speed up and enjoy the music.
I did feel the wind resistance on my shoulders though...but that's a whole lot better than being deaf.

So, I think I'm gonna keep the small screen on.
My commute to work in normal conditions will be the real test.

I do think it suits the bike too.

This review is sponsored by 'Powerbronze'. Manufacturers of fine aftermarket accessories....only kidding

groundhog

Reaction score
http://mt09.motorcycle-talk.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2945&d=1427536162

I've got zero patience, so I caught a break in the rain to have a quick test run.
I was using my Shark Raw helmet as I thought that would show up more wind issues compared to my Schuberth C3 Pro.
Also, we've got 20-30mph wind gusts today.

First part of the run was along an A-road with trees on either side, so this might have cut the windy conditions down a bit. Would have been a bit of a tail wind.
Low speeds (30-40mph) were absolutely fine. No wind or turbulence.
I noticed on a recent run with the stock screen, that the wind noise would make you think you were doing a pretty high speed, then you look down and you're only doing 65mph.
On my test, I was looking down and thinking "am I really going that fast!".
Helmet was just going through clean air, so only noise was what you would expect with the type of helmet.

I also play music through earbuds to cancel out wind noise.
With the stock screen, the music would be drowned out at around 70mph.
I got a fair bit over 70mph and I could still sing along to my favourite songs.

The run back was in to a bit of a side wind.
I was still able to get the speed up and enjoy the music.
I did feel the wind resistance on my shoulders though...but that's a whole lot better than being deaf.

So, I think I'm gonna keep the small screen on.
My commute to work in normal conditions will be the real test.

I do think it suits the bike too.

This review is sponsored by 'Powerbronze'. Manufacturers of fine aftermarket accessories....only kidding
Very helpful review BD I love your impatience, that would be me too :D

I suspected the wind noise might be less at the expense of a bit on the shoulders, but as you say worth it for a bit of quiet! I was going to try the bigger screen but having seen your comments I think I may go for the small version. It looks good too !!

Do you still have the three way adjustment on the small screen ?

Last edited:

Boab Dreeps

Reaction score
Very helpful review BD I love your impatience, that would be me too :D

I suspected the wind noise might be less at the expense of a bit on the shoulders, but as you say worth it for a bit of quiet! I was going to try the bigger screen but having seen your comments I think I may go for the small version. It looks good too !!

Do you still have the three way adjustment on the small screen ?
It fits in to the same bracket so can be adjusted in jut the same way.

The rain cleared, so I went out again. It's still really windy here though.

I've no reservations about the small aftermarket screen now.
The stock screens play a big safety role. They make so much noise and turbulence at higher speeds that they force you to slow down.
I just had the most amazing run. The small screen has fully unlocked the 'FUN' of this bike.
All the reviews of the Tracer and the standard MT-09 glow about how good the engine is.
You just don't get to experience it properly with the standard Tracer screens.

Some (maybe most) Tracer owners will like sitting behind those screens happily cruising along, every so often using a bit of power to get past some traffic, then settle down to a nice sensible speed (before their eardrums explode).

I bought the bike to thrill me. It's doing that now.

SonicTPA

Reaction score
I'm not quite sure I understand how this has increased it by the 3-4 cms you mention in your later post. Surely this pushes the bottom of the screen out which would push the top backwards and therefore down.

I don't suppose you have a picture to show what you did?

The noise and buffeting is driving me mad and I need to get a different screen. The Powerbronze flip screen looks good, but it curves a lot and I'm not convinced the extra length will be enough. The Ermax is straighter, but not as long.

I don't want to buy a screen that doesn't work!

Boab Dreeps

Reaction score
I'm not quite sure I understand how this has increased it by the 3-4 cms you mention in your later post. Surely this pushes the bottom of the screen out which would push the top backwards and therefore down.

I don't suppose you have a picture to show what you did?

The noise and buffeting is driving me mad and I need to get a different screen. The Powerbronze flip screen looks good, but it curves a lot and I'm not convinced the extra length will be enough. The Ermax is straighter, but not as long.

I don't want to buy a screen that doesn't work!
You're right. It does push the bottom out and the top backwards and down.
I wasn't trying to raise the screen. I was trying change the angle at which the air hits it...make it a bit more 'slippery' and reduce the turbulence created off the top edge.
Here are some photos to give a better idea of what I mean:

These are the rubber washers I bought:
http://mt09.motorcycle-talk.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2970&d=1427886918

This a close up of them fitted:
http://mt09.motorcycle-talk.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2967&d=1427886918

The next two show the difference between the stock fitting and the mod:
http://mt09.motorcycle-talk.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2969&d=1427886918
http://mt09.motorcycle-talk.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2968&d=1427886918

In my opinion, it did make a difference.
But I think that getting the angle/height right is a matter of trial and error for each individual rider.
I still wasn't happy with the noise I was getting around 70mph. Motorway travel was just horrible.

So I took a punt on the small powerbronze screen:

http://mt09.motorcycle-talk.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2971&d=1427886979
(see other photos in earlier posts)

For me this is the best option. The turbulence created off the top of this screen is hitting me half way down my chest, so the only noise I'm getting is what my helmet would expect to create going through clean air.
Higher speeds are much more comfortable now...and I think the bike wears it well.

As I said earlier in the post, I've also got the tall optional screen, but it's just not tall enough to get that turbulence over my head. It's the worst of all that I've tried.
Think it looks ugly on the bike too.

The aim for me is to reduce the turbulence and get it as far away from my helmet as possible.
As I'm quite tall, it's easer to do this by pushing the turbulence down rather than up.

Hope this helps

SonicTPA

Reaction score
Thanks for the extra info.

Those washers definitely make a difference! I've been thinking that it would be easier to go for a smaller screen as I know that would definitely work. There's no guarantee a longer screen would push the wind over my helmet, or at least my ears, but after years of riding bikes like that the thought of being able to take advantage of a tall screen is appealing!

I might try the Powerbronze flip screen and if that's not good enough, I think I'll go for the Ermax Sport style screen. It's a little bit bigger than your powerbronze screen, with cut outs for the hand guards and seems to complement the bike quite well.