Wire colours for the gauges

Paul de Roo

Reaction score
Hi all, I have an MT-09 drag bike that I am fitting a shift light to, and I need to know what wire in the gauges is for the tacho, general earth and key on power. Does anyone have this information? I have looked at some information in the manual, but cannot work it out. Please help me. :)

misscrabstick

Reaction score
I can send you the official shop manual pdf if you give me your email, it has a wiring diagram in,

Your in an area I don't think anyone has messed with so far and I doubt anyone knows the answer.

Some time back on my son's little 125 I used an oscilloscope to back probe the dash wires to check for a rev counter pulse, when you think you have found it you rev the engine and watch the pulses tighten up on the timeline of the trace to confirm as revs, only any good if you got a scope though! MIne is a cheapy chinese two channel one that plugs into the usb on my lap top, works ok though.

Paul de Roo

Reaction score
I can send you the official shop manual pdf if you give me your email, it has a wiring diagram in,

Your in an area I don't think anyone has messed with so far and I doubt anyone knows the answer.

Some time back on my son's little 125 I used an oscilloscope to back probe the dash wires to check for a rev counter pulse, when you think you have found it you rev the engine and watch the pulses tighten up on the timeline of the trace to confirm as revs, only any good if you got a scope though! MIne is a cheapy chinese two channel one that plugs into the usb on my lap top, works ok though.

Thanks so much. Could you please email to [email protected]?

That would be a massive help. :)

Swagger

Reaction score
Not good practice to put email addresses on the system.

Paul de Roo

Reaction score
Not good practice to put email addresses on the system.
Its ok. It's on the internet in about 50 websites. Trusting aren't I. :)

On a side note - I cannot find the correct wire from the diagram. I have the power and earth ok, but cannot find the tach signal wire colour. Can anyone assist with interpreting the manual?

misscrabstick

Reaction score
I took a look at the diagram myself, as you have found it's not obvious, It does seem the tacho could be driven by a general dash control chip, this also means that the actual signal could be in the form of what I know ( from my car repairing experience) a bus or can message, you won't get a pick up off that, question though, can you use the primary trigger wire to one of the ignition coils for an RPM signal?

BellyBikes

Reaction score
Hi all, I have an MT-09 drag bike that I am fitting a shift light to, and I need to know what wire in the gauges is for the tacho, general earth and key on power. Does anyone have this information? I have looked at some information in the manual, but cannot work it out. Please help me. :)
Black and white is Earth light brown is the ignition