Standard exhaust mod... 2nd edition

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
took delivery of the new Tracer on 1st, on the 2nd we started this...

Cut the top off...

Removed the innards...

Empty box...

Original exit pipe removed and 50mm exit pipe temporarily tacked in...

Next will be tacking the top back on to test fit and get the correct angle for the exit pipe. The original shroud will also be modified to take the 50mm exit pipe... more to come :)

skip to post #12 for the video with ride by

Last edited:

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
and from today...

test fit

with cowl

some trimming needed

trimmed

comparison with stock exit pipe

:D

stevecbr

Reaction score
Very nice mate, any idea how much louder it sounds?
When I did mine, from memory it went from 88db to about 92db on tickover, so not overly loud, but noticeably better than standard, however I didnt gut mine like you have, I only removed the pipework in the 3rd chamber and drilled some holes between the 2nd and 3rd chamber to allow the gas to flow easier

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
Very nice mate, any idea how much louder it sounds?
not yet, it's back on the bench ready to have the top taken back off, the internal perforated pipe shaped and welded in, some acousta-fil and the top seem welded back on.
will post some more photos and a video soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
well, my mate Pete got very busy today whilst I was out on the bike having fun...

the inner pipe is wrapped with Acousta-Fil which expands to fill the void as it heats up then sets.
will be fitting it to the bike tomorrow and will post a video soon.

huge thanks to Pete, AKA Fatbap, for all the fabrication work done in the most untidy garage in South Wales... the second exhaust he's done for an MT09, both mine :D

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
Acousta-Fil... used 450mm x 800mm, wrapped around the pipe 1.5 times then folded into the large void

the sound quality doesn't do it justice, it's so deep and raspy, sounds awesome in real life...

[video]http://www.facebook.com/lez3432/videos/10212191898974012/[/video]

will try and sort something better tomorrow, maybe a ride by, it's a bit late to be annoying the neighbours ;)

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
whole thing as a video with ride by, unfortunately the sound quality doesn't do it justice...

[video=youtube;9DkElLFltfY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DkElLFltfY[/video]

note, this is not an instructional video, any attempt to follow this procedure is done so at your own risk... or pay Pete to do it for you :D

Shaun64

Reaction score
Great thread & video sounds fantastic,how's the bike run with exhaust mod? Well done.

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
bike is running just fine, it's only 500 miles old so still running it, sort off.
I did the same mod to my last MT09 and it got extra 5bhp and that was run on a dyno , expecting the same from this one

Shaun64

Reaction score
Cheers ToastedBlue I will watch out for 2nd hand exhaust to modify, do you know what the before and after D/B are?.

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
don't have a db meter but mates iphone app showed 94db on rickover at the exhaust exit pipe

kernow

Reaction score
Cheers ToastedBlue I will watch out for 2nd hand exhaust to modify.
Picked up an immaculate low mileage system today on eBay, for the commencement of the mod, it should be here by the end of next week. So I guess better prepare the old mini disc cutter for some labotomy work.!!! :eek:
Personally I really like the look of the stock exhaust it just sounds strangled, and this is an extremely cheap mod on this system, compared to all the other alternatives which are still most likely to be a better option, but I think this will do nicely thank you. :cool:

Shaun64

Reaction score
Picked up an immaculate low mileage system today on eBay, for the commencement of the mod, it should be here by the end of next week. So I guess better prepare the old mini disc cutter for some labotomy work.!!! :eek:
Personally I really like the look of the stock exhaust it just sounds strangled, and this is an extremely cheap mod on this system, compared to all the other alternatives which are still most likely to be a better option, but I think this will do nicely thank you. :cool:

I don't think you can wrong with this mod especially since toasted blue has gone to so much trouble with the pics etc,I will be keeping an eye out also for 2nd hand exhaust system,keep us posted with how you go kernow.