coolant leak

Birdy

Reaction score
Ride home from work today, parked outside garage , noticed coolant leak.Expansion tank was still full, but checked the rad, it was half empty! Seems to be leaking from pipe just behind exhaust downpipes.Not been on this forum for a while , but think i remember a thread on something similar....TT where are you?

Scaley

Reaction score
I had an impromptu leak from the pipe going into the top of the oil cooler. I think I caught it quite quickly as not fluid lost. I reseated the spring clip which seems to have sorted it.

Gruffalo

Reaction score
I had my bike dump a lot of coolant whilst waiting for the boat in Newcastle (going to Ijmuiden), the next morning took it to the dealer and they said that the fan was broke (and there was no sign of a stone having been stuck in there) but the bike was only a couple of months old so it was repaired under warranty and I got an exchange bike whilst it was getting fixed.

Birdy

Reaction score
I was thinking the same Scaley, looks like it leaking past the clip, cant see any damage to the hose.I had a fan issue on my super tenere Gruffalo, rads on the side by tank, would overheat in 5 minutes in traffic.

RussR

Reaction score
I had this problem on my MT09......the day after I bought it (1700 miles and 15 months old)

I noticed a drop of coolant on one of the coolant hoses to the oil cooler.

Pulling the hose back a little on the oil cooler revealed a small crack in the stub pipe, fortunately all repaired under warranty.....which was good because the oil cooler is around £450 + VAT plus fitting, oil and coolant.

The replacement was slightly different but I don't think it'll make any difference to the stub pipe cracking which I think was caused by a combination of stress in the pipe (creases where it's bent through 90 degrees) and corrosion.

I've got some photos if anyone's interested.

Fall back situation if it hadn't been repaired under warranty was remove it and have the crack welded up.

Scaley

Reaction score
Thats interesting! I ran mine up to fan cutting in and it held, but now I'm thinking there may be more of an issue.

Toppie

Reaction score
I had an impromptu leak from the pipe going into the top of the oil cooler. I think I caught it quite quickly as not fluid lost. I reseated the spring clip which seems to have sorted it.
BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL if you have a leak from the small hoses that connect to the oil cooler.
I noticed a small leak one morning from one of these connections.
I did the obvious first and just tried a slight tighten of the clip
No joy.
I drained the system and took the hoses off and cleaned the small inlet/outlet pipes on the oil cooler.
I also ordered a new set of better quality hoses and fitted same.
The same bloody leak appeared on the oil cooler connection.
I tightened the clip........the leak got worse.
After removing the hose again to re-check, I found that the clip had actually started to distort the small inlet pipe on the cooler.
Price for a new oil cooler £500 !!!
I managed to get it sealed using two clips and it's been OK for about 4000 miles.
Just beware that these oil cooler pipes are very, very soft. Some sort of monkey metal alloy.

Scaley

Reaction score
Toppie - point duly noted. I've had a number of notes stating similar issues. I think I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep that area clean.
I've recorded the leak to show at my next service in a few weeks so I can keep yam aware.

Flobalob

Reaction score
I damaged mine by accident ! However on Saturday i took it to a local radiator repair company who deal with lots of bike rad repairs and they have had to weld quite a few MT09 oil coolers the 2 cranked stub pipes actually corrode badly if you ride through winter so its advisable to put some silicone grease or coppaslip to protect them from the crud,they need regular checking im going to fit samco hoses have them on my Fazer thou far better quality!

Epak

Reaction score
I had this problem on my MT09......the day after I bought it (1700 miles and 15 months old)

I noticed a drop of coolant on one of the coolant hoses to the oil cooler.

Pulling the hose back a little on the oil cooler revealed a small crack in the stub pipe, fortunately all repaired under warranty.....which was good because the oil cooler is around £450 + VAT plus fitting, oil and coolant.

The replacement was slightly different but I don't think it'll make any difference to the stub pipe cracking which I think was caused by a combination of stress in the pipe (creases where it's bent through 90 degrees) and corrosion.

I've got some photos if anyone's interested.

Fall back situation if it hadn't been repaired under warranty was remove it and have the crack welded up.

If you still have the photos I would like to see. I can't find any discernible location but I smell burning coolant and the are some spatters on the engine

woodie100

Reaction score
If you still have the photos I would like to see. I can't find any discernible location but I smell burning coolant and the are some spatters on the engine
Same happened to mine 16 plate Tracer. Luckily was done under warranty too.