Get Your Throttle Body Cleaned

Jim_Royle

Reaction score
I have just resolved and long annoying problem. My 2014 MT-09 has 44k on it. It started to feel like it did when it was new and had nasty throttle response prior to the reflash recall. The bike has Kev's O2 mod and used to be smooth. The bike was tiring to ride in traffic and generally unpleasant. Anyway after several visits to the mechanic it finally threw a fault code. "Throttle body needs cleaning". This problem was in play for two months before the fault code told the mechanic what to do. They cleaned it and it's all good now. I would suggest getting this done at the 40k service while they are in there dong the valve clearances.

RazzleH

Reaction score
I have just resolved and long annoying problem. My 2014 MT-09 has 44k on it. It started to feel like it did when it was new and had nasty throttle response prior to the reflash recall. The bike has Kev's O2 mod and used to be smooth. The bike was tiring to ride in traffic and generally unpleasant. Anyway after several visits to the mechanic it finally threw a fault code. "Throttle body needs cleaning". This problem was in play for two months before the fault code told the mechanic what to do. They cleaned it and it's all good now. I would suggest getting this done at the 40k service while they are in there dong the valve clearances.
I have found that applying fuel additive at least every service keeps my Tracer running sweetly.

woodie100

Reaction score
What fuel additive do you use? Directly into the tank? (Please excuse the dumb question!)

JonB

RazzleH

Reaction score
No so dumb a question woodie100. My answer may appear dumb though. I use whatever is on the shelf marked for petrol engine cleaning that also clears water/moisture. There are only a couple of brands here in Bendigo (Aus) . I have a tendency toward the more expensive lines in this type of product because I imagine that more and better ingredients cost more to manufacture and therefor will work better. Even if I'm wrong in that presumption I'm having success, and that's what matters most to me. Cheaper than paying for a mechanic to do the job I reckon.