Clutch difference

Snafu

Reaction score
I have a 2015 bike, brand new clutch cable from venhill so no issues there. Compared to a new bike the clutch is heavy, what have Yamaha done to make the new clutch so light?

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
Probably changed the leverage.

The early bikes are well known for having heavy clutches. A common mod is to put the clutch mechanism from an R1 on it (think it's detailed somewhere on here) - the guy I bought mine from had already done the mod and it's really nice and light.

Snafu

Reaction score
I did find that in the end. Thanks. It says its marginally lighter. Trouble with this solution is it increases the distance you need to pull the clutch. I've experienced this before and run out of adjustment with the clutch not fully disengaged at standstill and hard to find neutral. So I guess yamaha have done something different, perhaps fewer clutch springs or lighter ones.

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
All I can say is mine has the mod and lever travel is only what I'd expect with all other bikes I've ridden. Clutch adjustment is fine too.

Simply changing the cable to the R1 version and routing it as straight as possible may be all you need to do as a starter and see what you think.

Snafu

Reaction score
All I can say is mine has the mod and lever travel is only what I'd expect with all other bikes I've ridden. Clutch adjustment is fine too.

Simply changing the cable to the R1 version and routing it as straight as possible may be all you need to do as a starter and see what you think.
What bike have you got?

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
2015 Tracer, but apart from possibly a slightly longer clutch cable I can't see there being much difference to the MT-09 and I think all the leverage/pivots etc are all identical.

Snafu

Reaction score
Well I bought a 2006 clutch cable and guess what? The inner is too long. Ther is not enough adjustment available to take up the slack. Waste of money

Hubris2

Reaction score
Slipper clutch only has 1 spring as opposed to the standard clutch having 3 - significantly lighter pull. As the slipper was standard on the XSR900, you can find kits that include only the changed clutch plates and module (I did this to my 2015 and it considerably changed the bike) compared to the same year fz09/mt09.

Snafu

Reaction score
Slipper clutch only has 1 spring as opposed to the standard clutch having 3 - significantly lighter pull. As the slipper was standard on the XSR900, you can find kits that include only the changed clutch plates and module (I did this to my 2015 and it considerably changed the bike) compared to the same year fz09/mt09.
I’d be very interested in this , can you share some more information please

olivierzx

Reaction score
You have an other solution : hydraulic.
It's quite easy to adapt a Magura model.
The best is to contact them, they will build the exact lenght.

It's much cheaper than to adapt the 2016 clutch.

If you sell the bike you can keep it.
You'll just have to buy the adapted hose for your new bike.

Snafu

Reaction score
I found the post on FZ09 forum about fitting the xsr900 clutch in that has only 3 springs and is also a slipper. I can ask magura but I'd need a master and slave so I'm not sure that would be as affordable