Tyre choice for UK Tracer rider

mrmortar

Reaction score
Hi all,
I want to change to stock Dunlop’s for for some new rubber.
I’m contemplating either Metzeler Roadtec 01 or the Michelin Road 5. Both pairs seem to cost about £270.

Anyone got any views on their preferred rubber?

Cheers

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
When I got my Tracer last year, the original owner had fitted Avon Trailfinders to it (AV54).

Personally I usually have Michelin PR4 as my 'go to' tyre, but I must admit I'm so impressed with these Avon's that I think when I come to replace them I'll just get them again.

The handling is great with them and no problems with grip in wet weather either - I had a weeks riding in really bad weather at last years IMO TT so they got a good testing.

Tyres are a bit of a personal thing though so you have to find what suits you, but as I say, I'm really impressed with these Avons, and I like they give the bike a little more of an 'adventure' bike look with the tread pattern.

deadb0y

Reaction score
I've been using Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart for 30k miles... Never let me down.. I tired a bridgestone rear once and it was shite.. Slid all over the place so changed it back to a Roadsmart after 700 miles :)

BTW: I'm no fair weather biker.. I ride the tracer 30 miles a day EVERY DAY even tried it in the snow (knee still hurts now 2 years later)!

kev

Reaction score
My 2017 ABS came with Bridgestone Battlaxe S20 evo , I've now fitted S21 evo as they are supposed to give you more mileage, they cost £163 for a pair plus £35 to be fitted to loose wheels (including £5 disposal of old tyres) I could have got them fitted elsewhere for £20 but the fitter was on holiday, lol.

DaveC

Reaction score
On my 2014 MT09 I fitted Road 5s.
It previously had Bridgestone S21evo front and rear.
I did a 1200mile European trip on the Road 5s, I honestly can't say the bike really felt any different to before, but what was noticable was the lack of tyre wear after the trip, they still looked like a new pair of tyres.
I've now sold that bike for a new one which I've not even ridden yet so I'm back on stock tyres.
Bike won't come out now until the sun shows its face😎

kev

Reaction score
On my 2014 MT09 I fitted Road 5s.
It previously had Bridgestone S21evo front and rear.
I did a 1200mile European trip on the Road 5s, I honestly can't say the bike really felt any different to before, but what was noticable was the lack of tyre wear after the trip, they still looked like a new pair of tyres.
I've now sold that bike for a new one which I've not even ridden yet so I'm back on stock tyres.
Bike won't come out now until the sun shows its face😎
The sun shone today, OK only for 10 minutes. I can't ride for a few weeks had an emergency hernia op, three weeks no driving car, no heavy lifting 6 weeks, think I'll give the bike riding a miss for 6 weeks to be on the safe side, that's if I can go that long. lol.

andz

Reaction score
Personally I usually have Michelin PR4 as my 'go to' tyre,
I have these on my Fazer and when it comes time to change the stock Dunlops on my Tracer they will be my first choice.

I had Bridgestone BT-010 on my Fazer for more than 10 years but after they were discontinued I switched to Michelin and they are great.

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
I have these on my Fazer and when it comes time to change the stock Dunlops on my Tracer they will be my first choice.
Yeah the PR4's are great all round tyres and I've used them on all bikes for years (well the PR3's too previously too), but as I say, the Avon's have convinced me to move away from the PR4's as they suit the Tracer better and I think handle better too. Each to their own though.

stevecbr

Reaction score
I have the PR5's on my MT09, I have previously used the PR3's and really cant tell the difference, they both handle great, warm up well, and last about the same time (6000 miles +)

mrmortar

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. In the end I opted for a pair of Metz Roadtec 01. Will see how it goes.

Littlebruv

Reaction score
Metzler Roadtec 01 are what i have on my 2017 900 Tracer, at the moment they are pretty good, not had a big chance to see how good in heavy rain but hoping not to really

Kcolo

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Just wondering if someone can clear up a stupid question I have about tyres in general.

E.g. Metzeler has two versions of the roadtec 01 for the MT09.
One is the standard set
120/70/ZR17 58W.
180/55/ZR17 73W.
and one version is HWM set
120/70/ZR17 58W HWM.
180/55/ZR17 73W HWM.

HWM = heavy weight motorcycle.
After doing some online research, the HWM class is supposed to be bikes over 650 cc.

I believe Michelin road 5 has also two different versions of the tyre.

Can anyone please advise which set of tyres should be used on MT09, heavy or standard?

Thank you all in advance

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
Standard.

As far as I know, HWM tyres are designed for use on (quite literally) heavy bikes, when the stresses on the sidewalls are higher - e.g. big cruisers that will be carrying a pillion and a ton of luggage long distance.

For nimble bikes like the MT's, this doesn't really apply unless you intend to add full luggage, a pillion and addtional fuel tanks to go adventure touring.

I've got standards on mine and rode to the TT last year from the South of England, complete with full panniers, topbax, and tent/bed for camping on the pillion seat etc with no trouble at all.

Kcolo

Reaction score
Standard.

As far as I know, HWM tyres are designed for use on (quite literally) heavy bikes, when the stresses on the sidewalls are higher - e.g. big cruisers that will be carrying a pillion and a ton of luggage long distance.

For nimble bikes like the MT's, this doesn't really apply unless you intend to add full luggage, a pillion and addtional fuel tanks to go adventure touring.

I've got standards on mine and rode to the TT last year from the South of England, complete with full panniers, topbax, and tent/bed for camping on the pillion seat etc with no trouble at all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you the reply and the clarification, Otters Pocket.

I was always thought the MT09 was not a HWM as its 193 kg in weight out of the factory, plus rider and gear (my case that is another 85 kg).

My head was wrecked searching for a definite answer the last few days since I read that article that classed 650cc and above bikes as HWM. I believe that article originated from a Harley Davidson site.

So Otters Pocket your answer,

“ HWM tyres are designed for use on (quite literally) heavy bikes, when the stresses on the sidewalls are higher - e.g. big cruisers that will be carrying a pillion and a ton of luggage long distance.”

makes complete sense.

Thank you very much Otters Pocket for taking time out and sharing your knowledge.

Sound one.

DelClark

Reaction score
For just general road use I would say that PR3's, Pr4's or road 5'S (my choice) would be a great .
They all heat up quick and grip well in the wet.

Personally I use Metz ME99's because I do occasional track days and I find that the Dunlops overheat a bit, but they are fantastic for normal road use.