Heavy clutch?

Toppie

Reaction score
When I first bought my Tracer I found the clutch a little on the heavy side but, nothing I couldn't live with.
Until.....June 2019, one week before I was set to head off to Austria with some mates....I fell off a wall and busted my left wrist up good and proper.
Half a year later my wrist's not perfect and longer rides see me in some pain and discomfort.

So...I've tried to lighten the clutch pull.
I went for a Chinese Easy-Pull thing that reduced the effort required dramatically but....it didn't have a sufficient input/output ratio to fully disengage the clutch.
A bit of searching on-line brought me too an Indian company called Pro Spec.
More bucks than the China job but, it's a nice piece of kit and if you have a problem with the weight of your clutch.....this might be the answer for you.
It's lessened my effort to pull the lever by a good 40%.
Worth a punt if you'd like a lighter clutch pull.

Attachments

Littlebruv

Reaction score
That looks interesting, what's the cost of the part

Toppie

Reaction score
That looks interesting, what's the cost of the part
Here's a link.
The costs are on there in Indian Rupees and they give you the exact exchange rate.
They accept PayPal and I paid €43,50 which included postage.
I ordered on a Monday and it arrived on Thursday of the following week. (8 working days) (Rural Ireland)
I was really suffering with my damaged wrist and this is the 3rd Easy Pull that I've tried.
The first was a Chinese jobbie. Cost about €14. It worked OK inasmuch as it reduced the pull effrot considerably but, the input/output ration wasn't good enough to disengage the clutch fully.
I got another from the US. about €25. Rubbish
The Indian one is light years ahead in term of quality
Wee needle roller bearings on the fulcrum etc.
Cables are also much, much better than the others.
I suppose the extra cost reflects the quality.
It's worth it for me..

https://prospec.co.in/easy-clutch

Chinese.
Chinese easy pull.jpg

Indian Pro Spec
Indian Easy Pull (3).JPG

Attachments

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
Looks a good idea - reduce the amount of force needed at the expense of some travel - same as fitting a longer actuator at the clutch housing I guess.

The guy I bought my Tracer off had fitted the R1 assembly which makes it a lot lighter too.

Toppie

Reaction score
Looks a good idea - reduce the amount of force needed at the expense of some travel - same as fitting a longer actuator at the clutch housing I guess.

The guy I bought my Tracer off had fitted the R1 assembly which makes it a lot lighter too.
I thought about the R1 thing option. When I looked into it, it seemed the effort reduction would be around 10% + -.
I was looking for a bit more.
Falling off a five foot retaining wall which resulted in this.....
stitches.jpg
Wrist plate.jpg
I'm getting on a bit in years and don't heal quite like I used too so, this has ever-so-slightly bollixed me a bit.
A nice light clutch helps stop the ache.

Snafu

Reaction score
Just what I’m looking for. I too tried the Chinese ones with not enough movement. I take it it’s the short model not the long one to buy?

Toppie

Reaction score
Just what I’m looking for. I too tried the Chinese ones with not enough movement. I take it it’s the short model not the long one to buy?
Yes, the short option.
There's video on the fitting of the things but it's really pretty easy if you're half way mechanically minded.
It is a bit fiddly and you obviously end up with a few inches more of cable.
Worth it though.
If you open that link and contact the Indian folks you'll find 'em brilliant to deal with.
I couldn't fault them.

Snafu

Reaction score
Yes, the short option.
There's video on the fitting of the things but it's really pretty easy if you're half way mechanically minded.
It is a bit fiddly and you obviously end up with a few inches more of cable.
Worth it though.
If you open that link and contact the Indian folks you'll find 'em brilliant to deal with.
I couldn't fault them.
I already ordered one

nolef

Reaction score
isn't gonna increase the length of the cable? I think it might cause some handling troubles? do you have any?
Anyway thanks for the thread. I haven't known these things before

Toppie

Reaction score
Not at all.
It does add a few inches to the cable but nothing that cant be easily accommodated with a little re-routeing.
Well worth it for me with reduced capability in my wrist strength and movement.
It's a well engineered piece of kit.

Snafu

Reaction score
It works but I’m not sure which pin to pivot the arm on? Is the bottom pin or the higher one? As I don’t have any room for bringing the lever closer to the bar. Works much better than the cheap Chinese ones.

Cippy

Reaction score
Hi Toppie,
I just bought one since I have too problem with the stock clutch.
How can I proceede with the payment through Paypal, since they haven't included the address where to send the payment to, please?

Here's a link.
The costs are on there in Indian Rupees and they give you the exact exchange rate.
They accept PayPal and I paid €43,50 which included postage.
I ordered on a Monday and it arrived on Thursday of the following week. (8 working days) (Rural Ireland)
I was really suffering with my damaged wrist and this is the 3rd Easy Pull that I've tried.
The first was a Chinese jobbie. Cost about €14. It worked OK inasmuch as it reduced the pull effrot considerably but, the input/output ration wasn't good enough to disengage the clutch fully.
I got another from the US. about €25. Rubbish
The Indian one is light years ahead in term of quality
Wee needle roller bearings on the fulcrum etc.
Cables are also much, much better than the others.
I suppose the extra cost reflects the quality.
It's worth it for me..

https://prospec.co.in/easy-clutch

Snafu

Reaction score
Hi Toppie,
I just bought one since I have too problem with the stock clutch.
How can I proceede with the payment through Paypal, since they haven't included the address where to send the payment to, please?
If you email them, they will send you a PayPal request invoice.

Toppie

Reaction score
It works but I’m not sure which pin to pivot the arm on? Is the bottom pin or the higher one? As I don’t have any room for bringing the lever closer to the bar. Works much better than the cheap Chinese ones.
See my pic above. Mine is installed with the fulcrum pin at the bottom.

stavrosd2006

Reaction score
On my 2016 Tracer, clutch cable failed,at 22550 km and indeed much force was needed to pull.
Yamaha official service said that yamaha is aware of this problem and new improved cable assy was installed, with new P/N from IPC.
Guess what? smooth operation, low pullforce, wondering about design office over there at the YAMAHA headquarters!!!
the big difference is in the metal sleeve after the tension adjust screw, smooth bend now.

Big Julie

Reaction score
Upgrade clutch to later model XSR900 slipper clutch. It has only 3 clutch spring rather than the standard 6. I can operate it with one finger. Also update you clutch cable, there is a new version. The bend on the original was too tight. The clutch kit cost about US$200 a few years back. I updated it at 10,000Km now up to 40,000Km with no problems. See attached files. From Sharkpart USA

Attachments