Alternative forks

Littlebruv

Reaction score
Hi all
As anyone put different forks onto a Tracer, not the internals but completely different forks. the reason for the asking was recently I had a low-speed front end collision and couldn't believe I bent not only the inner tubes but also the stantions as well, I compared the Tracers forks to a KTM 690 and realised just how skinny the Tracer forks really are

Ballon

Reaction score
Hi all
As anyone put different forks onto a Tracer, not the internals but completely different forks. the reason for the asking was recently I had a low-speed front end collision and couldn't believe I bent not only the inner tubes but also the stantions as well, I compared the Tracers forks to a KTM 690 and realised just how skinny the Tracer forks really are
HNY.

Sorry to hear about your accident.
I think that as KTM bikes have a more off road heritage so the WP suspension tends to be more rugged, I noticed the difference when I changed form my 690 Duke to the Tracer.

I replaced my internals with KTech and it has transformed the front suspension and handling,I did investigate changing the entire forks but it’s expensive.

I had mine done by PDQ in Slough, they are very knowledgeable on suspension issues so it might be worth having a chat with them and see what they would suggest. https://pdq1.com/

Littlebruv

Reaction score
HNY.

Sorry to hear about your accident.
I think that as KTM bikes have a more off road heritage so the WP suspension tends to be more rugged, I noticed the difference when I changed form my 690 Duke to the Tracer.

I replaced my internals with KTech and it has transformed the front suspension and handling,I did investigate changing the entire forks but it’s expensive.

I had mine done by PDQ in Slough, they are very knowledgeable on suspension issues so it might be worth having a chat with them and see what they would suggest. https://pdq1.com/
Hi Ballon
Thx for the reply.
Due to the fork rebuild i now have K Tech uprated fork springs with Ohlins 7.5 grade oil, just done a 170 mile run out on the bike to get things settled back in, will give it a few more long runs for the forks to be fully bedding in then recheck their setup

Ballon

Reaction score
Hi,
Glad you’ve got the front forks fixed.

just for info I also had the rear shock changed to a Nitron T2 + HPA.
I primarily use my bike for touring now, with panniers etc so quite a lot of weight (no pillion though). The suspension upgrades have made it so much better, there is no comparison.

I‘ve test ridden a KTM 890 Adv R, BMW 850 GS (mines a 2015 year Tracer)and whilst they are obviously more modern and have more advanced electronics, they did not offer enough to make me want to change, which in my world says an awful lot about how good the Tracer is.

Littlebruv

Reaction score
I have the Ohlins rear shock with remote adjusted and swapped Metzler roadtec 01's for Michelin road 5 which for me as made the handling even better

Littlebruv

Reaction score
Has anyone here had the Ohlins NIX30 fork internals fitted and as it cured the so called 'KNOCK' when the forks compress ?

Littlebruv

Reaction score
Finally...going for the full Ohlins cartridge/springs upgrade, will now be able to experience the difference

Littlebruv

Reaction score
Finally, Ohlins fork cartridges fitted with 9nm springs and Ohlins fork oil added, done a test ride Saturday, all seems ok, it felt better than the original cartridges but this is only a settling-in period, next will be a re-check, and set up to my riding style so hopefully, weather permitting a better ride out soon.

Update 12/11/22
Finally got the chance to have a good ride out Saturday, the Ohlins NIX30 cartridges have made a huge difference compared to the original ones. Once set up, riding fast country lanes are more of an enjoyment now, don't get me wrong, getting the oil and spring rate right with the original cartridges does sort out some of the front-end problems but now with the Ohlins equipment the handling as gone up several notches with the Ohlins rear shock installed last year

Last edited: