Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Tyres

Bike
    Yamaha mt 09
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the tyres a good month now well scrubbed in, so far they've been excellent, grip is very good wet and dry, wet performance seems phenomenal, front turns in a bit at lower speeds more noticeable than the Dunlops, and these are the other way around to the Dunlops as in I've got about 3mm chicken strip on front and about 10mm on rear, I've stiffened front up a bit and slowed the rebound down (suggested by my local dealer) and that's made a big difference to handling much better still seems like the rear is more rounded than the front though, but that's my only gripe, tyres really are excellent grip wise...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Yamaha mt 09
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have been reading on another forum about people running lower pressures in there tyres than the manufacturer recommend, specifically lots of peeps running 30/30 where i think the recommended is 36/42. Advantages are supposed to be quicker warm up and bigger contact patch. Anybody run lower pressures ? I've had no issues at stock pressures but if lower = better for "normal" use then why not ?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Bike
    FJ09/MT09 Tracer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wakers View Post
    Have been reading on another forum about people running lower pressures in there tyres than the manufacturer recommend, specifically lots of peeps running 30/30 where i think the recommended is 36/42. Advantages are supposed to be quicker warm up and bigger contact patch. Anybody run lower pressures ? I've had no issues at stock pressures but if lower = better for "normal" use then why not ?

Tyres are designed to run at certain pressures. The pressure of the air inside maintains the correct profile and therefore maintains the correct handling of the bike. Running a tyre at lower pressure will cause it to heat up , more than it should , and the profile will be deformed.
    As the mt09 is oversprung the ride is often felt to be hard. Riders may substitute bad suspension settings with incorrect tyre pressures to compensate, after all its easier than fiddling with a C spanner. I wouldn't recommend it. I have adjusted my suspension and reduced my rear pressure to 36psi , but I wouldn't go any lower. I think 30psi on the front is asking for trouble and would give very slow steering.
    Scaley

Bike
    Yamaha mt 09
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say the suspension on my mt09 is too soft if anything? So you run 36 front and rear ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone used BT016 Pro's? on anything not just MT09 - I'll be needing a new pair of tyres in 100 miles, I was thinking Metzeler Roadtec 01's but as a reference want to try out my K-Tech revalved forks with the OE Dunlops.

The BT016 Pro's are on offer at M&P for 120 a pair, that's difficault to ignore for a tyre that is/was well regarded - I'm not too bothered about wet grip (only ride in the rain if I get caught out) or life so for 120/pair I'm wondering if they're worth a punt.
    Last edited by RussR; 03-10-2018 at 01:40 AM.