Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely just a flat battery, not seized starter motor or anything like that. As said above, you will need to charge the battery properly. A trickle charger will only maintain a battery, not actually charge it. As a test, you may be able to jump from another vehicle, but still it would be advisable to fully charge the battery afterwards, however long a ride you go on to charge it. Once you have a fully charged, healthy battery, then put the trickle charger on between all uses during the winter and periods of no use otherwise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MT 0-9 Battery

I have in the past experienced a flat battery with this bike for no obvious reason, the dealer checked the battery condition and charging rate and found both to be ok.

Would it therefore be possible to fit a larger capacity battery under the seat, because there is enough space in the battery tray as a piece of foam approx. 2 cm thick is acting as packing ?

Bike
    MT-09, Fazer8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solar chargers are fine for keeping a battery up, but once it's been drained, e.g. by an alarm, they struggle to recharge it, especially at this time of year when there's not a lot of light.

I used one on my old Thundercat, which had an alarm, and it would keep the battery healthy enough to start it after a month or two.

Hopefully, an intelligent bike charger siuch as an Optimate or Oxford Optimiser should be able to recover your battery, since it doesn't seem to have been completely discharged.

Don't use a car charger, as that could push out too much current. Similarly, if you decide to jump start it from a car, don't have the car engine running as that can give too much output and damage electronics (so I'm told).

Something to bear in mind - if a battery is low, it needs a really good run a (couple of hours, and not heavy traffic) to fully recharge it. A quick spin round the block will hardly put back the energy that was used to start the engine.

95-octane fuel can go off after some months, and make starting difficult, but I wouldn't expect a problem after only 2-3 weeks.
    Last edited by bobh; 01-09-2017 at 03:10 PM.

Bike
    YAMAHA MT-09 ABS matt-grey
    Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city center, 100m from a sandy beach
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nibor View Post
    I have in the past experienced a flat battery with this bike for no obvious reason, the dealer checked the battery condition and charging rate and found both to be ok.

Would it therefore be possible to fit a larger capacity battery under the seat, because there is enough space in the battery tray as a piece of foam approx. 2 cm thick is acting as packing ?
    YTZ10X is the type of the standard yasa battery which is a japanese product. MT-09 allthough has enough space in the battery holder to put in the larger YTZ12X battery of yasa. The stronger battery is "tailored" for MT-09s when the foam-"pillow" is removed from its place and provides easier cold-morning starting due it has more Ampers for that critical procedure.
    And costs just a little more than std..
    the motorcycleboy reigns

Bike
    MT-09 ABS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may have a drain , put the side stand on a piece of rubber and see if the charge last longer, just a suggestion!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MT 0-9 Battery

Thanks for the battery information "motorcycleboy" but for clarity I think you meant replacing the Yuasa YTZ10S (standard MT 0-9 Battery) with the YTZ12S Yuasa batteries, not the YTZ12X battery. Because looking on line in the Yuasa catalogue the YTZ10X and YTZ12X batteries you referred to are not recognised.

Also for information, the YTZ10S and YTZ12S batteries are both the same length at 150mm, and width at 87mm, but the YTZ12S battery at 110mm is 17mm taller than the standard YTZ10S battery at 93mm.

This raises the following points -

a/ Would the extra 17mm height of the YTZ12S battery foul or come into contact with underside of the riders seat ?

b/ As both batteries are 87mm wide there would be no need to dispense with the (20mm approx.) foam packing piece.

I hope this helps other members reading this post who might intend in the future upgrading their present standard YTZ10S battery for the 25% more powerful Yuasa YTZ12S battery.

nibor

Bike
    YAMAHA MT-09 ABS matt-grey
    Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city center, 100m from a sandy beach
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mind's failure is obvious.. thanks for dimensions infos, i'll talk to my mechanic and respond back shortly..
    the motorcycleboy reigns

Bike
    MT-09 2015
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambo90 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm very new to biking (only a few months in) my first bike is a 2013 MT-09 ABS. Unfortunately due unforeseen circumstances I have been unable to ride/start the bike for a good 3 weeks.
    I went to start her around 4 days ago and it wouldn't start. Display screen was on and working as usual but when I went to start the bike it was just making what I can only describe as a loud purring noise (which is coming from under the seat). As the bike is alarmed I just put this down to it draining the battery over the period of time it hadn't been started.
    In the mean time I have purchased an Oxford solar powered trickle charger to try and charge the battery up abit. It has only been connected approx 2 days, I went to start it earlier and still nothing.

Firstly am I right in assuming this issue is the battery and secondly am I doing the right thing in sticking it on the trickle charger and will it start in a few days?

Apologies if this is a silly post and questions but I am not very mechanical minded and am very new to the joys of biking.

Regards,
    Jambo.
    Hiya mate, the oxford solar panel doesn't charge a flat battery, its supposed to keep a fully charged one fully charged when not in use but it doesn't. Ive got one and my battery has gone flat thrree times this winter

Bike
    MT-09, Fazer8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three weeks non-use shouldn't discharge a fully charged battery. I've left bikes for anything up to three months without a charge and they've still started on the button, though it's not something I'd do from choice. Ideally you need to use a proper mains powered intelligent charger with an indicator of the charge level (Optimate/Oximiser or equivalent) to be sure that the battery is fully charged when you put the bike away, and to check that it's still OK when you bring it back out again.

There is a belief that starting the bike and running it up for a few minutes every now and then will be OK. It isn't - it needs quite a long run, maybe a couple of hours, to recharge a low battery. Yuasa say that their batteries should be charged at no more than 2 Amps. For a 10 AH battery that's 5 hours.

I had this conversation with a friend a few days ago. She said that during the cold weather she went out and started up her car every day and ran it for a few minutes "To make sure that it starts OK". But then when she actually needed it to go somewhere, it wouldn't, and she couldn't understand why. When I pointed out that she'd used more electricity starting the thing (OK, it's a Diesel so takes a bit of cranking) than she'd put back in by running it for a couple of minutes I think the penny dropped. Hopefully she hasn't discharged the battery so far that it's fubar-ed it.

Bike
    Yamaha mt 09
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran my MT09 flat by leaving the lights on had an absolute nightmare trying to bump start it, peeps in my local dealership said you won't bump start it with a flat battery (I don't know why this is). Bought an optimate and job done.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk