Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bike
    MT09 TRACER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coolant temps uk

Iím struggling to reach 65-70 deg c on my 15 mile commute which my be caused by a stuck open stat.
    What are you seeing in this ambient temp of around 4-6 deg c ?

Bike
    2017 MT-09 2007 MT-03
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know I never look

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 & Xmax 250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mine runs about 70 when riding along A roads, but stuck in traffic on the daily commute it will get up to over 105 degrees. The fan will come on every day, whatever the weather, after about 8 miles of A roads followed by a couple of miles of stop/start city traffic.

Bike
    MT-09, Fazer8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yamahas generally run pretty cool on the open road. I think mine generally shows in the low 70's when the ambient is 10-ish. So I'd not be too worried.

Bike
    MT-09, Fazer8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went for a little ride yesterday and did a check on running temps.

Ambient temperature 12-13deg (according to the bike's readout). Coolant 65-68 on the open road, rising to low 70's when slowing in built-up areas, then dropping back once out in the country again.

So it looks as if yours is absolutely normal. I'd guess the thermostat is set to open around 65.

Bike
    MT09 TRACER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the feedback guys I’m used to car stats opening at 88 lol

Bike
    2017 MT-09 2007 MT-03
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was out today ambient temp was 13c coolant temp was 71c 2017 MT-09

Bike
    MT09 Tracer Ď16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all
    I fitted a scottoiler today and checked the throttle bodi s and they were out slightly so glad I took the plunge to strip the bike down to do the balance thingy. Now the main reason for this post was to ask getting the bike up to temp to adjust the vacuum on the throttle bodies, the fan kicked in at about 80-90ish but I noticed a drip of what was blue water landing in the down pipes along with a tissss sound so I put a container underneath and caught a couple of egg cup fulls of this blueish water. At first I thought it was oil leaking from the oil filter but I’m not 100% sure where it’s coming from but needless to say I’m gutted as I’ve only had it for 2 weeks or so!!

Spoken to dealer and it’s booked in for a check over (don’t really trust them that much) but I have warranty on it so going to use it.

Can anyone tell me what the round thing with the large nut is? It seems to be coming coming from there but not sure as water will find the lowest point to drip from.

Any ideas??

Cheers
    JonB

Bike
    MT09SP MT10SP Honda cb 360
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanbaker View Post
    Hello all
    I fitted a scottoiler today and checked the throttle bodi s and they were out slightly so glad I took the plunge to strip the bike down to do the balance thingy. Now the main reason for this post was to ask getting the bike up to temp to adjust the vacuum on the throttle bodies, the fan kicked in at about 80-90ish but I noticed a drip of what was blue water landing in the down pipes along with a tissss sound so I put a container underneath and caught a couple of egg cup fulls of this blueish water. At first I thought it was oil leaking from the oil filter but I’m not 100% sure where it’s coming from but needless to say I’m gutted as I’ve only had it for 2 weeks or so!!

Spoken to dealer and it’s booked in for a check over (don’t really trust them that much) but I have warranty on it so going to use it.

Can anyone tell me what the round thing with the large nut is? It seems to be coming coming from there but not sure as water will find the lowest point to drip from.

Any ideas??

Cheers
    JonB
    It's the oil cooler

Bike
    MT-09, Fazer8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's coolant, and it definitely shouldn't be leaking from there.

I'd have thought it should be a fairly simple job for them to fix, without too much dismantling - just a seal, I'd guess. But get them to check that no water has got into the oil, and ask them to change it (the oil) if there's any doubt.

Is it still under Yamaha warranty? If so they shouldn't quibble, as they'll get paid for it. If it's a dealer warranty and they won't play ball, get straight on to Yamaha, in UK at first, if no dice, in Holland. Don't let them mess you around.

One reason I'm favouring Kawasaki these days (are you listening, Mr Yamaha?) is that they do a good deal on extending their warranty to 4 years. And it is their own warranty, not farmed off to an insurance company who will find some obscure exclusion clause to fight every claim.