Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Bike
    MT-09 ABS + HD Sportster XL1250S
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of people seem to be setting their rebound damping (the only damping adjustment available, though adjusting rebound damping unavoidably has a (smaller) effect on compression damping) close to maximum.

Have any of you who do that actually tried bouncing the bike at standstill, to see how it rebounds? You should need just enough dialled in so that the bike rebounds smoothly and swiftly, without bouncing downward again. Too much rebound damping, particularly on a bike as softly sprung as the MT-09, prevents the suspension recovering quickly after bumps or over dips in the road, resulting in the tyres losing contact with the road; loss of traction at the rear; and packing down of the front suspension under braking or over harsh bumps, causing the front end to become totally rigid. Not good. You also don't want your front tyre staying off the ground when you hit a bump whilst leaned over in a bend.

It seems to me that what the MT really needs is more progressive (and possibly slightly heavier) springing, and/or a bit more compression damping.
    Last edited by Steely; 06-01-2017 at 05:09 PM.

Bike
    MT09 ABS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using SportRider settings:

motorcycle issue front preload front rebound damping rear preload rear rebound damping
    FZ-09 ('14) May-14 2 lines showing .5 turns out Position 5 of 7 1 turn out

Suggested Sport Bike Motorcycle Suspension Settings | Sport Rider
    Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not...

Adrian Monk

Val's MT09

Bike
    MT-09 in Armour
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably been asked many times before but with out trawling through reams of posts to find it a quick and simple answer is all I'm after....

With regards to the front fork adjustment on top of the right fork leg, I see some obtain and fit another r/h adjustable fork leg cap to the left leg, so my question is, is it that simple or does one need the whole inners of the r/h leg also.??? And is it a mod worth doing.???
    Thanks.

Bike
    MT09
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Invest in a proper suspension set. Its not cheap but it makes a hell of a difference to the quality of the ride. Nitron rear road shock and Matris front fork cartridge kit and springs all set for my weight and riding style. coet me 1100 though there are cheaper or more expensive depending on what you go for. Mine was a ride in / ride away service from PDQ in Taplow. Great service and quality products.

Bike
    MT-09 ABS + HD Sportster XL1250S
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kernow View Post
    It's probably been asked many times before but with out trawling through reams of posts to find it a quick and simple answer is all I'm after....

With regards to the front fork adjustment on top of the right fork leg, I see some obtain and fit another r/h adjustable fork leg cap to the left leg, so my question is, is it that simple or does one need the whole inners of the r/h leg also.??? And is it a mod worth doing.???
    Thanks.
    You'd just be doubling up on the rebound damping, rather than adding compression damping. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I believe that soft (stock) springs and lots of rebound damping is an undesirable - and potentially dangerous - combination.