Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bike
    None
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by My Toy View Post
    This is probably a bit premature of me as I don't have my MT yet but from what I remember of the test ride I'm going to have to do some setting up. Try as I did I couldn't see the damping screw for the rear shock!! Also, I notice that the damping adjustment is on the right fork leg only. All my recent bikes, Firestorm, CB1300, VFR have had poor damping and soft springing in the front. Rather than spend lots on new springs I have found a reasonable solution has been to put suitable spacers on top of the fork springs, not excessive, about 8mm max so there's no chance of the springs going "coilbound" under braking, and thicker fork oil, usually 15w. However, I have no experience with USD forks, especially where there is no damping screw on the other leg. Has anyone got experience of these forks, the left leg has to have oil in it, right???
    The rear shock damping screw can be seen by looking through a small gap in the frame and in my case having to poke some cables out of the way a bit.

Sent from outer space
    | 2014 Matte Grey MT-09 | Ti Akrapovic | Ohlins 46DR Rear Shock | Andreani Fork Cartridges | Woolich Racing ECU Flash | G2 Throttle Tube | DNA Air Filter | Yamaha LED Indicators | Yamaha Fly Screen | Puig Tail Tidy | Michelin PR4's |

Bike
    2016 R1, 2016 MT09, 2014 MT07, 2016 Tracer
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RipGroove View Post
    Just been out on some fast bumpy B-roads with the same settings as you and I'm actually really impressed, almost felt like a different bike! Before it was like a pogo stick and now it feels like its damping infinitely better.

Sent from outer space
    I'm glad it worked for u too RG..!

It's so much more fun to ride now don't u think?

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

www.facebook.com/spudrees
    Last edited by Triple Trouble; 04-12-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Bike
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RipGroove View Post
    The rear shock damping screw can be seen by looking through a small gap in the frame and in my case having to poke some cables out of the way a bit.

Sent from outer space
    On the left hand side if the bike

Bike
    None
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Trouble View Post
    I'm glad it worked or u too RG..!

It's so much more fun to ride now don't u think?

Yes much much nicer :-)

Sent from outer space
    | 2014 Matte Grey MT-09 | Ti Akrapovic | Ohlins 46DR Rear Shock | Andreani Fork Cartridges | Woolich Racing ECU Flash | G2 Throttle Tube | DNA Air Filter | Yamaha LED Indicators | Yamaha Fly Screen | Puig Tail Tidy | Michelin PR4's |

Bike
    2014 FZ-09
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MT account View Post
    thats interesting as the hyperpro manual gives recommended sags for different bikes.....
    Yes. And you aquire that sag by your weight. In order to get say a recommended 35 mm of sag... my 215 pound body will be a different shock setting on the same bike as another person who is 115 pounds.

You want a certain "measurement" of sag. How you set your bike to achieve that is base on the riders weight. You measure static sag, the bike standing up with you off of it. (Or unladen sag, first.. cant remember which right now) Then you measure how much the shock compresses with you on it in riding position in full gear. Will need someone to hold the bike upright.

That is the measurement you take. Adjust the compression until you reach tbe desired sag. Obviously this will all depend on your weight. If you are too light or too heavy to aquire the desired sag range, you need a softer or firmer spring.

You do this for both front and back. It makes a huge difference and needs to be done before messing with rebound and dampening...
    Last edited by JSP; 04-12-2014 at 07:39 AM.
    *Previous Bikes: 09 Rebel 250, 09 FZ6R, 09 R6, 11 FZ8, 02 Bandit 1200s*

Banned
    Bike
    MT-09 FZ-09 CBX1000 KH400
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSP View Post
    Yes. And you aquire that sag by your weight. In order to get say a recommended 35 mm of sag... my 215 pound body will be a different shock setting on the same bike as another person who is 115 pounds.

You want a certain "measurement" of sag. How you set your bike to achieve that is base on the riders weight. You measure static sag, the bike standing up with you off of it. (Or unladen sag, first.. cant remember which right now) Then you measure how much the shock compresses with you on it in riding position in full gear. Will need someone to hold the bike upright.

That is the measurement you take. Adjust the compression until you reach tbe desired sag. Obviously this will all depend on your weight. If you are too light or too heavy to aquire the desired sag range, you need a softer or firmer spring.

You do this for both front and back. It makes a huge difference and needs to be done before messing with rebound and dampening...
    yup. im getting that and on reflection id guess that hyperpros 'recommended sag' settings are based on each spring weight they provide and not based on a random generic spring found on a stock bike?

Bike
    MT-09 ABS Race Blu
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 1.85 meters, and weigh about 87 kilo.
    I've got the rear on full preload (number 7), and rebound damping screwed all the way in.
    In the front i think I'd like full preload too (zero rings showing), but after riding like that for a day, i had a feeling that my bike was turning into the turns a bit slower (could be my imagination), so I reduced it to three rings showing.
    Rebound is half s turn out from max.

When I've got a chance I might raise the forks a bit in the triple, to compensate for the added height and slow turn in, and then dial it back to full preload on the front...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    "You live life more in five minutes on the back of a motorbike than you can in an entire lifetime." - Burt Monroe
    Racing BLU, PR4's, Hyperpro Sbox, G2, SeatConcepts

Bike
    None
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone know what the recommended sag is for this bike? Or should we just aim for 1/3 of the travel?

Sent from outer space

Bike
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by relz View Post
    I'm 1.85 meters, and weigh about 87 kilo.
    I've got the rear on full preload (number 7), and rebound damping screwed all the way in.
    In the front i think I'd like full preload too (zero rings showing), but after riding like that for a day, i had a feeling that my bike was turning into the turns a bit slower (could be my imagination), so I reduced it to three rings showing.
    Rebound is half s turn out from max.

When I've got a chance I might raise the forks a bit in the triple, to compensate for the added height and slow turn in, and then dial it back to full preload on the front...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    Seems to me that the settings for our bikes so far suggest that the stock settings are way out...

Bike
    MT-09 Matte Grey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its about 160 pound Triple