Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bike
    MT 09 Tracer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your chain defo wants oil. It’s dry as a bone!
    I use TUTORO Automatic Motorcycle Chain Oilers

– TUTORO Ltd. It works off vibration of the bike. You can set it to one drip every 45secs and there isn’t too much spray.
    I use chain saw oil from B&Q. Or just engine oil. The chain is always wet with oil and therefore get very little wear!

Bike
    MT 09 Tracer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    From your pics, the chain is pitted on the rollers, get a new one.
    The dust on the rim is probably brake dust.
    The chain is absolutely fine, it's that dust that covers it - will change the lube method but once cleaned there is no corrosion or damage.

Bike
    15 Tracer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see some marks on the chain rollers, are they brand numbers or wear marks?

Bike
    2016 MT09
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fact of the matter is, you are having chain issues and having to adjust it rather regularly.

Clean and lube the chain properly, set the correct slack and your issues should go away.

The dust is likely being attracted to your chain simply due to your method of lubrication. Dry weather will churn up a lot of dust unfortunately.
    Last edited by Mikejbry; 07-07-2018 at 02:09 AM.

Bike
    MT 09 Tracer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, just cleaned it, check the slack and it's correct between 25/30mm (check to forum) and bought some engine oil. Will be live after lunch.

Bike
    2016 MT09
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice one

I love the look of a freshly oiled chain me! I live a simple life

Bike
    MT 09 Tracer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And it is looking oiled and ready to run!! Just busy watching the English moving forward!!

Bike
    MT-09, Fazer8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Wurth Dry Lube in summer, because it doesn't attract much dust or fling. Ipone do a 'Sand Lube',mainly for off-roaders; that's similar, but not so readily available.

But, like every aerosol lube I've tried, it's not too good at keeping corrosion at bay when there's any salt around. So in the winter, when there's no dust but plenty of water, I've taken to using a Renthal lube that comes in a squeezy bottle (so no loss due to overspray). It's a sticky, stringy oil and doesn't seem to fling off too much around the rear of the bike like engine oil does.

I generally reckon to get 25-30,000 miles out of a chain. Though I should also mention that I like to fit a new front sprocket (the component that wears quickest) about half-way through that mileage.

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 & Xmax 250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My 2013 MT09 has now seen 5 british winters, has done over 28000 miles and is still on the original chain & sprockets. I use gear oil applied with a toothbrush every couple of hundred miles, as it does fling of a bit.

Bike
    MT 09 Tracer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must admit, yes it did flew off a bit but not worth than some of those bomb I used in the past. But best advice I got!

Thanks