Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bike
    Mt09 Tracer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tracer headshake cure.

Hi all, new to the forums but I thought i'd share my experience with the dreaded tracer high speed wobble that some, but not all experience.

I generally ride 2-up, often with luggage as we do a lot of touring and suffered problems with the factory setup resulting in a vague front end under hard overtaking acceleration, causing a slow weave that developed into a more violent 'brown trousers' headshake if pushed into.

I've made some easy to do changes that have cured the problem totally.

1.Binned the handguards.

2.Changed the stock screen for an Ermax touring screen.

3.Dropped the forks 15-20mm.

I'm 6ft 1 and i'm pretty sure the problem was caused by turbulence rolling off the screen and guards, hitting my shoulders and head, causing a lot of 'chop' and transferring down to the bars. With the ermax screen and no guards I get nice clean air washing over my lid and hardly any turbulence.

My suspension is all stock, max preload on the front and 7 clicks out from full clockwise. Rear is usually left set at 1 back from max preload and 1 3/4 turns out from max rebound. Once i've got the money the rear shock will be changed, it aint all that good.

I've also added good ol' fashioned heavy weights to the ends of the bars and grip puppies that have removed the fatigue causing hand buzz you get after a good long while in the seat.

Bootwise i'm running Dunlop sportmax sportsmart which in my opinion are excellent all round tyres.

Rock solid at 3 figure speeds, solo or loaded up.

Btw I think the tracer is one of the best bikes i've owned.

I'd love some feedback and to hear about other peoples wobbles.

Bike
    Tracer 900, RaceBlu
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting.
    How have you dropped the forks?

Bike
    Mt09 Tracer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technically I suppose it's really raising the forks up through the yokes, but i've always known it as 'dropping the forks'.

Think the exact measurement ended up being 18mm, no science behind that particular figure.

For those interested I strapped the handlebars to an overhead joist in my garage, released the all the yoke clamps and let the front end down via the strap. The right hand fork slid up easily but the left was a little reluctant so i clamped the right hand top clamp at about the height i wanted and then helped the other along until they were exactly the same (used vernier caliper), tightened both top clamps then released the strap, climbed on with the bike still on the centre stand and bounced my weight directly over the shocks with the front wheel dead ahead to 'settle' the front before doing up the bottom clamps.

Bike
    Mt09 Tracer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should say 'raising the forks up through the yoke (triple t)', but i've always known it as 'dropping the forks'.

Really easy job, strapped the handlebars to a roof joist in my garage, loosened off all the yoke clamps and carefully lowered the front down. Right hand fork slid through easily but the left was reluctant so I tightened the top right clamp at about the height I wanted then helped the other along by hand until they were exactly equal (used a vernier caliper), tightened up both top clamps then 'settled' the forks by bouncing my weight directly over the front of the bike with the wheel dead ahead, then tightened the bottom clamps up. Simples.

Bike
    Mt09 tracer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cured mine with a gpr steering damper, so no more front end wobbles for me.

Bike
    Mt09 Tracer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looked at them as I like the neat installation, but goodness me! The price....

Bike
    Mt09 tracer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was lucky got mine for 320 cos they priced them wrong on website.

Bike
    MT-09 & MT-09 Tracer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I removed the hand guards on day one, as I did not like the looks of them and have had no issue with the wobbles, until I re-fitted them for a longish winter ride then noticed what people were talking about. Removed them as soon as I got back.

Bike
    My09 tracer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mt09 damper

Quote Originally Posted by Laffli View Post
    I cured mine with a gpr steering damper, so no more front end wobbles for me.
    Hi mate, is yours a 2017 model ? Where did you get the damper from ?

Bike
    Mt09 tracer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richvantage View Post
    Hi mate, is yours a 2017 model ? Where did you get the damper from ?
    GPR Steering Damper | GPR Stabilizer