New bike - Front wheel knocking, floating discs?

Spook99

Reaction score
So just traded in my ´15 Tracer for a ´19 Tracer GT (yeah sorry for pushing into the mainstream forum). Getting an obvious thud or knock from the front wheel when mounting a curb or braking at low speeds. Pretty sure it’s the floating discs, as it’s similar to what happened on my old FZ1. But weirdly never got this on my old Tracer. I know the front forks are now fully adjustable, but didn’t think that should effect it. I’m gonna have the dealer take a look, but really interested to see if others have had a similar experience...............

´kin loving the bike though

Greenman41

Reaction score
I’d have thought if it was the brake discs it would only happen when using the brakes and not when bumping up a kerb. Sounds more like steering head bearings. If I’d only just bought it I’d have it back to the dealer.

Spook99

Reaction score
I’d have thought if it was the brake discs it would only happen when using the brakes and not when bumping up a kerb. Sounds more like steering head bearings. If I’d only just bought it I’d have it back to the dealer.
It’s been diagnosed as ´pad slap´ , it’s the pads flopping about in the calipers. They’re right too, I can move the pads easily with my fingers,
Just makes no sense to me that nobody else has this issue, anyway giving it back to them on the 600 mile service to sort it, better retaining springs, copper grease ? Ill leave it down to them

Greenman41

Reaction score
That sound like something that could affect any bike, though I’ve never heard of it before. There must be something wrong with either the pads or the callipers? Out of tolerance? Worn pad backing, or has someone filed the pads thinking that they were too tight?