ECU Reflash using Velox Racing FTECU

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
Having researched a lot of the options of reflashing the ECU, including the usual Power Commander add-ons which I've used in the past, I've finally decided to get the FTECU harness that allows reflashing the ECU at home straight off the laptop.

The reason I went for this is my alternative options were:
1 - Send my ECU in for a reflash and then get it sent back - I'd be without use of the bike for a short while, and call me paranoid but I really don't like the possibility of the ECU going missing or getting damaged in the post. While it's unlikely, it's not without possibility and the insured postage doesn't cover the grief of trying to get a new ECU sorted.

2 - Ride to a company to let them take out the ECU for a reflash. This was going to be the route I went down, but the negatives here are the added cost of petrol to get there, and then you only get one flash. So change something in the future or decide you don't like a particular aspect of the reflash and you either have added costs to get an update or at the very minimum the hassle of another trip to have the bike pulled apart again.

3 - Power Commander - a possibility, but the functionality is limited and doesn't address a lot of the issues that are the reason for looking at a reflash.

4 - Get a "home gamers" set up with a licence that allows unlimited reflashes and updates, even to the point of setting back to stock without hassle.

Option 4 was initially looking the most expensive, but after weighing up the added costs associated with the others (postage, petrol, hassle etc), it actually comes in about the same if not cheaper, but with the added bonus of not being a one off flash, but unlimited changes.

Nothing against other methods or companies, and no affiliation to Velox Racing, this is simply the one I chose to go for and for information if anyone's looking into them and wants a little more background on my experience with them.

So I got the kit, registered it online and have installed the hardware - basically taking the plugs off the ECU and wiring in a few wires into the back of it - much easier than it sounds. You then have a harness permanently connected which runs under the seat and you can simply plug the laptop into whenever you want to do a reflash in the future.

The software comes with 3 maps:
Stock - so you always have the base map if you ever want to simply go back to stock
Unlimited - all the limiters etc taken off
Aftermarket exhaust map - made for stock filter with aftermarket exhaust (from reading up it's a pretty good map).

Also gives you the ability to control all the additional functions like engine braking (to smooth out the jerkiness), fan temperature etc etc.

I haven't yet carried out the reflash so will update when I get to that stage, but at the moment it seems a good option for anyone in a similar mindset.

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
So flashed the ECU last night and got out on it today for a test ride.

The flash went fine, no issues and took around 5 minutes. I used the 'unrestricted' map first to get a feel for what it can do.

So with this one, it's based on the stock fueling but extends the 100% fueling out to what you'd expect on WOT. Also takes off the engine braking, disables the closed loop, lowers fan temperature operation, disables 1st/2nd restrictions etc, all similar to what most reflashes cover.

Initial impressions are decent. The jerky on/off throttle is much improved, but not totally gone in A mode, but I think this is simply the throttle coming in quickly which gives a pull - you still have to be smooth on a throttle whatever and can't expect the bike to cover crude throttle control.

I might tweak the throttle so it comes in intially similar to Mode B just for the initial take up, and then carries on with the normal Mode A throttle, so the fueling will come in gently for just that fraction as you open up, and then take off as normal. Wont be noticeable in normal riding but will help in town riding without changing modes. This is what I liked about the flash harness, I can now tweak settings as much as I like and not end up fixed with something I might still have an issue with after re-flashing.

Is it worth it? Good question, that's possibly difficult to say for any reflash. It doesn't unleash any noticeable power which I didn't expect as I have no mods from stock in terms of the filter/silencer, but the smoother throttle is nice and the other tweaks are definitely nice to haves. I could quite happily have not bothered with a reflash at all and still enjoyed the bike, and if on a budget I'd definitely say don't bother, but if you fancy some tweaks I'd definitely say it's worth it.

the cueball

Reaction score
Sounds good, have you put the engine braking back in??

One of the best things about the triple is that it’s pretty aggressive...

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
Sounds good, have you put the engine braking back in??

One of the best things about the triple is that it’s pretty aggressive...
No the engine braking is disabled, that's one of the reasons for the reflash.

To be honest I think 'engine braking' is the wrong term for it in the software, it actually stops the injectors from being turned completely off when the throttle is 'off'. You still get engine braking but not that hard lurch, which when you then go back onto throttle and the injectors kick back in makes the bike feel really jerky. This is a problem with most Yamaha bikes since they started fuel injection.

Personally I wouldn't really say the engine has aggressive braking though, but I came from a 900 twin which could skid the rear tyre under engine braking when going down the gears so depends what you're used to. If you're coming from a 4 cylinder then yeah it'll feel a lot more aggressive.

I do like a lot of engine braking though, so it's getting a happy medium between the amount and the smoothness of the power delivery.

The nice thing now is I can play with the throttle settings at the low end, when there's just a few percent as you bring the throttle in.

I found this guys video on the software quite good just to give an overview on what you can do:

He misses the point that when changing any maps, you can link all the others at the same time, so changes are carried through to the other gear maps or cylinder maps, makes things a lot easier.

As I say, if you just want a quick flash with no hassle or you don't like the idea of playing with the ECU yourself, then I'd go for one of the tuners like S-tec. If like me you like to mess around a bit more and have the option to repeatedly update the settings as needed, then this is a nice option. I'd give the caveat though that if someone doesn't know much about it, leave the fueling maps well alone.

the cueball

Reaction score
I’ve got a Honda RC51 so I’m used to decent engine braking.

I find the MT is on par with that.

I do have a custom ECU flash as well mind you ;)

gecko55

Reaction score
Been thinking about flashing my tracer since I bought it 3 years ago. How much did it cost to buy the software and hardware? I have an Apple MacBook so does the software run on macs?

Ta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
Been thinking about flashing my tracer since I bought it 3 years ago. How much did it cost to buy the software and hardware? I have an Apple MacBook so does the software run on macs?
Have no idea about Macs, I guess so, but best bet is simply go to their website, that's where you'll find all the prices and options etc.

With VAT it's was aroundthe £400 area. All the software is free to download as part of the package. You get the ECU tuning software and a couple of maps (the stock version incase you want to go back to stock, and the unlimited map with all the restrictions removed). There is only a 'race' map for certain ECU models, which didn't include mine which was unfortunate, but I've since bought the active tune kit so it's tuning itself as I ride and so far working really well.