Rear wheel paint

ib1-2

Reaction score
Anyone here having problems with the blue paint coming off the rear wheel when cleaning. I only use bike products when cleaning and no alloy wheel cleaners and a canuba polish to finish off, but find the paint rubbing off on to the polishing cloth. My dealer is not really interested and I'm waiting to hear what Yamaha have to say.

Yam MT 09

Reaction score
All the Yamaha's with blue wheels do this , my dealer told me it is because the wheels are not lacquered and they have to use save the world water based paint !! i just use a small amount of wd40 and a soft cloth to clean chain lube off and don't rub to hard !! for even better results use a blue cloth :p

the cueball

Reaction score
Same happens with the bright yellow wheels.

As mentioned above, they haven’t been lacquered from the factory.

I went to the trouble of having a slightly different paint made up, painted and lacquered properly to solve it.

kev

Reaction score
Mine did the same when new, not so much if at all now, although I tend to just wash and rinse now and use wax lube on chain.

ib1-2

Reaction score
I have now put a ceramic coating on them so hopefully that will solve the problem. I know the Tracer was made to budget but not putting a decent finish on a wheel seems a bit mean.