Upgrading front suspension

Ballon

Reaction score
I am going on a 5+ week tour of France & Spain (3k -3.5k miles) later this year.

The bike has SW Motech top box and side panniers but will also have a large roll bag with all the camping gear in it so there will be a considerable amount of weight. I've had a Nitron rear shock fitted with remote adjusters which I'm very pleased with as it is light years ahead of the stock item. However I'm wondering whether it's worth upgrading the front suspension as well. The guys at PDQ recommend K Tech, which would be replacement cartridges. They get very good write ups but as all these things come at quite a cost I have to weigh up whether the benefit would outweigh the cost!

Therefore I would be grateful if people could give me their thoughts or experiences of upgrading their suspension and how they've found it.

Many thanks.

Ballon

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
I have a Nitron shock too and the handling is great.

I have heard good things about the K Tech cartridges, but depends on how you ride whether you'll get the benefit.

I went to the IoM TT last year, rode up from Essex fully loaded- similar to you with topbox, panniers and tent etc on the pillion seat.

I found the handling fine with the stock front suspension. The Nitron makes such a difference to the handling I don't feel the need to mess with the front.
If you're the type to really push on and need the front to perform better then I'd consider it, but for normal riding I find the stock is fine.

Maybe load the bike up one weekend for a ride to experiment with similar weight on the back as you'll be using when touring and see what you think.

Ballon

Reaction score
Many thanks for the reply, it’s actually what I’d thought but it is good to have someone confirm.
As most of our riding will be fully loaded we won’t be pushing hard so I’ll leave it be. Saves my a £1,000👏👏

DaveC

Reaction score
If you are currently happy with the way it is but you are adding considerable extra weight, you may want to add some extra preload front and rear to prevent a complete bottom out of the suspension

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
If you are currently happy with the way it is but you are adding considerable extra weight, you may want to add some extra preload front and rear to prevent a complete bottom out of the suspension
Pre-load is basically ride height, you should increase it to help take up the extra weight of course which will help, but if bottoming out adjust the compression damping too.

Bon

Reaction score
First mod I did to my bike was rear nitron unit and Matris front cartridge and springs all built to my weight and riding style. PDQ did the work for me. Wasn't cheap at 1100 quid but was money well spent. First time I hit the brakes hard on the way home due to a car suddenly changing lanes on the motorway the bike didn't nosedive like it had before. Now I can use the brakes properly and corner with confidence.

olivierzx

Reaction score
Since 2017 model the fork doesn't need to be upgraded for road use.

The origin preload is bad in the user manual.
For a 75 kg equiped pilot if should be set like this :

And for compression and rebound : 6 clics from max or 5 for more sport.

Greenman14

Reaction score
I fitted Hyperpro springs to the front forks of my 2017 Tracer and it made a useful difference. Still not exactly Ohlins but good value and good enough for me most of the time. It’s all a compromise, how hard do you ride, how fussy are you about handling and how much do you want to spend?

the cueball

Reaction score
I went ohlins in the back and hyperpro springs and heavier oil in the front.

Preload is 5 rings too IIRC...

I’ve thrown my roll bag on the bag for a few Euro trips now, works fine - although I travel very light... lol