Flash the ECU

SteveS

Reaction score
Hey so cut me some slack, I've never had a bike with am ECU and I'm not into cars. Totally ignorant.
What does it mean to "flash" the E.C.U.?
Does it void warranty?
Is it a customizable change or one size fits all?
Does it effect T.C. And A.B.S. Or rider mode?
Thank you for your response.

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
What does it mean to "flash" the E.C.U.?

The ECU contains the 'maps' which are fueling maps and throttle maps.

Fueling maps in it's basic form is simply a table which tells the injectors how much fuel to inject at a certain throttle opening at certain revs.

E.g. opening the throttle 100% at 1000 rpm will only tell the injectors to fire a small amount, because the engine is too slow to use that much fuel. As the revs get to the power band the injectors are told to fire 100% to give full power. The 'map' is usually created on the dyno where they can monitor the fueling in realtime against throttle openings and revs.

Because the throttle is 'fly by wire' the throttle map is simply telling the injectors how much you've turned the throttle. This gives flexibility, so in B mode when you want to calm the bike, you can tell the injectors to ignore 100% throttle and only provide 50% for example. This can be to limit power or slow the throttle response. Conversely, in A mode, it's set to reach 100% throttle even before you've fully opened it, which makes it feel more aggressive and effectively turns it into a quick action throttle.

These two maps together are what essentially tells the injectors how much fuel to supply at the given revs.

Flashing the ECU is basically editing some or all of the mapping that can be changed. This includes things like the throttle mapping, the fuel mapping, disabling turning the injectors off on a closed throttle, amongst other things.

Does it void warranty?

Yes, but just for engine. Obviously if you took it back for suspension work, they wouldn't even check the ECU, so you'd be fine. Anything where they check the ECU for issues and they'd potentially spot it had been altered and either refuse to do the work or void the warranty work and charge you.

Is it a customizable change or one size fits all?

Customisable, but depends who's doing it. Most tuners will work with you to get the map you're after. Some just already have a 'one size fits all' map they put on. I personally bought the software to remap myself with a lambda sensor that feeds back to the ECU based on an AFR table I can edit - it sounds like you're best off talking to someone who does it though and getting them to tailor it to what you want.

Does it effect T.C. And A.B.S. Or rider mode?

It can if you want. Not sure about TC or ABS, but you can select which rider mode you want it to default to, and also you can edit the throttle map of each mode, so you could make A mode less aggressive or B mode more etc. Personally I made the initial throttle opening of A mode similar to B mode, so it doesn't snatch, but once the throttle is open it's like a quick action throttle and goes to 100% a lot quicker. On earlier models B mode is limited to about 80% throttle, so I also removed this and made it so I can open it up properly, but it's still the nice long action so can be good in town traffic etc. Personally I think the throttle mapping is where you can make the bike how you like it the most. The fueling is only really worth tuning much if you make changes to the air filter and exhaust systems, but other things like removing the injector cut on deceleration makes the bike smoother too.

Last edited:

SteveS

Reaction score
Thank you
That's a very clear description and confirms my suspicions. Thanks again
Steve
Bottoms Up!

09Wes

Reaction score
I put on a M4 slip on my bike but didn‘t spend the $$$ on a flash. The bike is quick enough for me, the throttle response is smooth enough for me as well.
I‘ve seen enough dyno sheets to know that spending *$1500. US to get 3-4 hp is a waste of money, IMHO. Enjoy the ride!
*full exhaust, hi flow air filter, ECU flash

09Wes

Reaction score
Well I cut loose with the money for the flash and it's done. I'm pleased with the results it is much smoother than it was prior to. IDK how how much of a power it has I’m just happy to be riding.

09Wes

Reaction score
I put on a M4 slip on my bike but didn‘t spend the $$$ on a flash. The bike is quick enough for me, the throttle response is smooth enough for me as well.
I‘ve seen enough dyno sheets to know that spending *$1500. US to get 3-4 hp is a waste of money, IMHO. Enjoy the ride!
*full exhaust, hi flow air filter, ECU flash
Well I broke down and got a flash. There is a no real difference in power or anything like that.