Lockdown or road trips

Littlebruv

Reaction score
Hi all
What's happening out there, humbug stuck in a lockdown or getting out on the bike if possible.
I know we are meant to be stuck indoors due to this madness disease but clearing out the cobwebs from the brain and refreshing a few cells helps relieve a few tensions, for me a good rideout from cluttered London town down to the Kent and Sussex back lanes and a few coast roads thrown in for good measure, Whats your dealings?.

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
My bikes won't come out until the lockdown is lifted.

The reason for unnecessary trips isn't about spreading the disease, it's also about reducing the risk of accidents that end up taking more of the NHS's time.

The worst thing would be having an off and being 'that guy' being brought into hospital while the staff are desperately trying to deal with the covid-19 cases. Don't mean to sound a killjoy, but I have family who work in the NHS and when you speak to them about the current situation it brings it home that it's not worth selfish acts just because you're bored.

DaveC

Reaction score
I totally agree, frustrating as it may be, stay at home until this is over and then we can enjoy our cluttered potholed roads once again.
Tempting as it may be to go out for a blast, if you have a mishap and take up a hospital bed you're just adding to the burden on the NHS.
I have/had another European jolly booked with some mates France,Belgium,Germany again but that's pretty much going to be rebooked for another time.
But our time will come.
Patience my friend... It'll be worth the wait.

:cool:(y)

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
until this is over and then we can enjoy our cluttered potholed roads once again.

Now that's a topic - why when the roads are so quiet, aren't the councils making the most of it and repairing all the roads?

Toppie

Reaction score
I live in a very quiet rural area. It'd be easy for me to take the Tracer out just for a spin but, for the reasons stated above, I dont.
But, I do own 6 acres of field which surrounds my house.
I took my KLR 650 onto the lower part of the field a few days ago to give it a try-out on grass.
I recently fitted Avon Trailriders's which are a 90/10 road biased tyre so was a tad dubious.
They weren't too bad at all so, I'll be marking myself out a track and getting my 2 wheel-fix off road for now.

https://youtu.be/bOXXEVqRt5w

andz

Reaction score
Our lockdown is quite strict, no leaving your home except to shop for groceries or to seek medical attention. No exercise or walking dogs. No sales of alcohol or cigarettes. if you are stopped on the road without a valid reason you can be arrested on the spot and put in the van, so my bike is staying in the garage.

+1 on the road repair comment, we have a serious pothole problem here but the "essential services" category was only expanded to include plumbers and electricians a couple of days ago so road crews are probably not considered essential.

Ballon

Reaction score
Our lockdown is quite strict, no leaving your home except to shop for groceries or to seek medical attention. No exercise or walking dogs. No sales of alcohol or cigarettes. if you are stopped on the road without a valid reason you can be arrested on the spot and put in the van, so my bike is staying in the garage.

+1 on the road repair comment, we have a serious pothole problem here but the "essential services" category was only expanded to include plumbers and electricians a couple of days ago so road crews are probably not considered essential.

Ballon

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've just come back from a long planned road trip and am now doing my 14 days quarantine which has already become boring. We did 2,360 miles in 3 weeks and visited Brittany, Loire, Dordogne, Pyranees, Western end of the Mediterranean and the Tarn Gorge. Apart from the journey from Millau to Caen we did not use a single stretch of motorway.

I upgraded the front suspension with Ktech cartridge and springs and changed the rear for a fully adjustable Maxton unit, they transformed the bike particularly with all the extra weight it was carrying.

Some unbelievable roads particularly in the Pyranees and the bike behaved brilliantly even averaging 60mpg.

Now planning the next one, though with slightly less luggage!

andz

Reaction score
Since I wrote my post back in April things are far more relaxed, you can travel about the country at will although there is still a 10pm-4am curfew. Spring is almost here so the timing couldn't be better for being able to ride again!