Stability with top box

Johnjo

Reaction score
Any views on stability compromise with a top box fitted.

I do like a top box to stash my helmet when off the bike. Slight concern I have is that I find the front end very light when " making progress ". Will fitting a box make it worse ?

Littlebruv

Reaction score
A top box intends to work like an airbrake making the front end to lift but make sure tyre pressure and the rear shock is adjusted to suit using whichever top box and weight is in it when riding. On Yamaha's brochure, I read they don't recommend using a top box but will gladly sell you one for the Tracer :oops:

Johnjo

Reaction score
yes, thanks for that Littlebruv. My thinking is the same as yours.

I have experimented with tyre pressures and suspension settings. Even went to a professional suspension tuner in an attempt to dial out the vague front at speed. Helped a bit but only real cure is a serious suspension upgrade.

I will probably risk fitting a top box. Should be okay at touring speeds. Was hoping to hear from some existing top box owners to draw from their experience.

Littlebruv

Reaction score
I have finally got my suspension sorted only after having the bike for 3 years eventually fitting Ohlins rear shock and 10nm K-tech fork springs with grade 10 fully synthetic fork oil. Within the 3 years of using standard suspension with a Givi 42ltr outback top box and 2 Kreiger bags now swapped for Givi panniers all-weather riding and at speeds as long as everything is setup ok and using the traction control correctly, I don't really think you should have any trouble using a top box

andz

Reaction score
I ride two up and with a top box all the time, I can't say I have felt any issues that could be attributed to the box.

I have 2 boxes, a Givi V36 and a Givi E52N (takes 2 fullface helmets) and neither affect the ride, even in windy conditions.

Johnjo

Reaction score
I have finally got my suspension sorted only after having the bike for 3 years eventually fitting Ohlins rear shock and 10nm K-tech fork springs with grade 10 fully synthetic fork oil. Within the 3 years of using standard suspension with a Givi 42ltr outback top box and 2 Kreiger bags now swapped for Givi panniers all-weather riding and at speeds as long as everything is setup ok and using the traction control correctly, I don't really think you should have any trouble using a top box
Nice upgrade Littlebruv.
The suspension tuner i mentioned gave me a quote for a ride in/out service to fit ktech cartridges and shock for just over £1500. I might pull the trigger next year.

Johnjo

Reaction score
I ride two up and with a top box all the time, I can't say I have felt any issues that could be attributed to the box.

I have 2 boxes, a Givi V36 and a Givi E52N (takes 2 fullface helmets) and neither affect the ride, even in windy conditions.
Thanks for the reply andz.
Exactly what I was hoping to hear.(y)

Littlebruv

Reaction score
I was a bit lucky, the KTM tech who services my bro's bike helped me fit my Ohlins shock and eventually the fork setup meaning having to get my hands dirty 😳😆😆 but costing me a small handful of readies for his help otherwise I would have been stuck once I saw how fork springs are fitted

FJW

Reaction score
Any views on stability compromise with a top box fitted.

I do like a top box to stash my helmet when off the bike. Slight concern I have is that I find the front end very light when " making progress ". Will fitting a box make it worse ?
I've used a top box,takes two helmets, on the tracer with giving side paniers as well. It does make the front a little lighter but in general it's not that bad. If you're heavy with the throttle you will have to beat little subdued and steady until you're comfortable with it when cornering hard.
Good luck.
F

Johnjo

Reaction score
I've used a top box,takes two helmets, on the tracer with giving side paniers as well. It does make the front a little lighter but in general it's not that bad. If you're heavy with the throttle you will have to beat little subdued and steady until you're comfortable with it when cornering hard.
Good luck.
F
Thanks for the reply F.

Makes perfect sense and confirms my first thoughts on the subject. I haven't sourced a rack or box yet. Will get organised before next years touring season. ( assuming there is one ).