Anyone fitted the lowering dog bones?

offo

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone on here had fitted the lowering kit & if so what's the recomendation from Yamaha about how much the forks should be raised through the top yoke, I'll be fine riding as is on my own but may want to fit the kit & be a bit more sure footed when i tour with the wife!

MJ09

Reaction score
UK, Midlands between coventry and Birmingham
I had the Yamaha accessory dog bones fitted at the PDI. Dealer left the forks in the original position so I have dropped them 20mm. With seat on lowest position I can just get the balls of my feet down (5ft 7inch...).

In summary, they help a little and the side stand is still usable. Think that I might need the lower seat though. Has anyone tried the low seat? is it comfortable?

offo

Reaction score
Thanks MJ09, I've got the lower seat, it was thrown in as part of the package, i've only done about 50 miles on it so far but it did seem harder than the standard seat which TBH is'nt surprising as it's obviously got less padding, maybe it will soften (or i'll get used to it) the more miles i get on it.
As previously said i just want to feel secure with panniers & the missus on the back so i'll give the lowering bones a try, i did guess that the forks would need to be moved 15 - 20mm as that's what i've done on previous bikes (Tiger 1050 & Tiger 800) but it's nice to have it confirmed.

Flobalob

Reaction score
Fitted them on mine at the first service left the forks as standard does make a little bit of difference also I was told the side stand may have to be cut and re welded ❗✋��told the dealer to get f####d what a load of baloney❗

Kimmie

Reaction score
Have also fitted the lowering links and from info I found on the web, dropped the forks through 10mm. I don't run with a pillion but do carry luggage, so have set the preload on the rear @ 2 and changed the damping also.

Preload on the forks is normal and the damping is set to the soft side of the settings (not the softest) and it seems to ride nicely now.

The side stand is fine as standard....sits just a tiny bit more upright but hasn't affected me putting the stand down at servo's etc.....

I'm 5'5 and 60 kgs ringing wet and can get decent footing with these settings.

Rogerfredo

Reaction score
How much lower?

I would like to fit the lowering linkages for my Tracer MT09, but on inspection see that there is very little distance between carrier for the suspension and the rear frame. The official Yamaha kit claims to lower by 15mm, which seems about right considering the distance just mentioned, whereas other makes (eg Lust Racing) claim to lower by 25mm, which I think may need some fettling on the suspension. This does not seem to be a good idea. Has anyone fitted one of the non Yamaha kits without problems?

Scaley

Reaction score
[MENTION=2359]robin[/MENTION] did you lower the front ?
Mine's lowered by 5mm at the moment, I might take it to 10mm at the front.

deedaadel

Reaction score
I just fitted these Korean hang guard LEDs. Very expensive.

Robin, they look brilliant. Are they permanently on or switchable?
Have you lowered the angle of your full beam so you can use two headlights?

Im going to have to put the LEDs on my Christmas list.

Last edited:

robin

Reaction score
Only 16 months later. Lights are as was. Hand guard lights are ignition live as per side lights. You can always put a switch inline.