cleaning akra downpipes

Yam MT 09

Reaction score
hi all , has anybody got a good cleaning tip for the akrapovic downpipes , I've got some tar like deposits that are really hard to remove , tried wd 40 but the spots won't budge . cheers everyone

lee1980

Reaction score
my Arrow pipes are looking pretty sad to only got in January but it was the cold salty season. They really need a good buff up with Autosol or similar metal polish now

Yam MT 09

Reaction score
I tried some autosol on the downpipes where it could not be seen , pants shitting time , dramatic colour change and started to get very shiny !!!! the spots are not tar but dark like tar , I don't want to change the colour / appearance of the pipes , just clean them , so a bit worried what to try ???????

loneranger

Reaction score
i used chain cleaner on a rag and then bars metal shiner

MJ09

Reaction score
UK, Midlands between coventry and Birmingham
Try Astonish stainless steel cleaner (intended for kitchens) from Aldi, its not always available, but comes up in their specials. Another forum put me onto this, It was amazing on some stainless downpipes on a (very) old H*nda (sorry!). I found it much better than autosol or brasso etc.

Best test in a hidden area first though. I also used it on a scotchbrite pad, to tackle the really burnt on (20 years) worth of discolourisation and crudy deposits.

Nicholas Chai

Reaction score
hi all , has anybody got a good cleaning tip for the akrapovic downpipes , I've got some tar like deposits that are really hard to remove , tried wd 40 but the spots won't budge . cheers everyone
bro ...have u tried yoshimura stain magic...it cleans my headers and mid pipe pretty well

lee1980

Reaction score
I guess yea dont really want to polish as that brings up shiny as they were like that on my old hornet. my Arrow ones on MT are terrible now so need to do something might even be easier to take off full system to clean properly then keep on top of it weekly!

andz

Reaction score
This is an old thread but I didn't want to start another one.

Last Sunday I was out for a ride and before I knew it I was in a liquid manure spill (or something else but definitely shit based).

It was 30 miles before I could get to a pressure washer and by then the crap thrown up by the front wheel was baked into my beautiful Akro headers.

I have similar concerns to others who posted about changing the colour of the pipes, what is the best to use?

Littlebruv

Reaction score
What are then down pipes made off ?, if stainless steel Hein Gericke used to do an excellent cleaner if they still sell it online

andz

Reaction score
I'm not sure what they are made of, the installation instructions mention stainless and titanium, it is the carbon racing line system with the loop in it.

Fletch

Reaction score
Medium grade Scotchbrite pad - in the direction of the existing brushed finish. :cool:

Sven

Reaction score
I’ve seen ‘Harpic Power Plus Max 10’ recommended by several people on bike forums. Never tried it myself so cannot confirm if its any good, but is cheap so maybe worth a go. (Though maybe try a small inconspicuous area first!)
Search on YouTube & there’s plenty of vids on there of people using it to clean downpipes.

Toppie

Reaction score
I’ve seen ‘Harpic Power Plus Max 10’ recommended by several people on bike forums. Never tried it myself so cannot confirm if its any good, but is cheap so maybe worth a go. (Though maybe try a small inconspicuous area first!)
Search on YouTube & there’s plenty of vids on there of people using it to clean downpipes.
It's brilliant. I was tipped off about this a year or two ago and have used nothing else since.

Here's what it did for me. Also worked fantastic on my headers but cant find the video.

Cleaning a motorcycle exhaust with HARPIC kitchen cleaner. - YouTube

Last edited:

Unfazed

Reaction score
I use harpic on SS downpipes and it's like magic, not sure about using it on titanium